Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diametric

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
Sydney
I was going to buy a d-link wireless router for my new (YET TO ARRIVE, resellers should die) Macbook instead of Airport (300 AUD, wtf?). So I had a few questions.

Um, first off, is d-link mac compatible?

Two, what is the espected coverage for a d-link router? I wanted to be able to sit in the garden and have the internet running. That's something like 30 or so metres away from my broadband modem.

Three, is d-link good, if not, what would you recommend that's below 200 AUD?

Thanks in advance.

.diametric

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
diametric said:
I was going to buy a d-link wireless router for my new (YET TO ARRIVE, resellers should die) Macbook instead of Airport (300 AUD, wtf?). So I had a few questions.

Um, first off, is d-link mac compatible?

Two, what is the espected coverage for a d-link router? I wanted to be able to sit in the garden and have the internet running. That's something like 30 or so metres away from my broadband modem.

Three, is d-link good, if not, what would you recommend that's below 200 AUD?

Thanks in advance.

.diametric

Why should resellers die?

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
I had a D-Link 524 I. It had a great range. My garden, about 40 meters away from the router, received reception from it. It worked just great with my mac, and also came with 4 wired ports. Unlike airport, you can configure it via a web browser, and it had many techno-junkie configuration options that nerds like me enjoy.

Currently I'm using an airport express, which I love for the music streaming. The only thing that sucks about it is it refuses to join a 192.168.* network without some non-intuitive thinking.

I was very satisfied with my d-link. Unless you transfer a lot of files between computers and you need the speed, I don't see why people pay tons of money for super wireless g routers when all they need is a broadband connection.

gonyr

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2006
Niagara County, NY
I've had a D-link router for about a year, and it works great. The range is about the same as previous posters have listed, and that's through several thick, 125 yr old walls. It's also way more reliable than my previous netgear that was always dropping its signal and needing to be reset.

Check around, you can usually find D-link stuff on sale pretty cheap.

diametric

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
Sydney
I really do want the same speed through the wireless my ISP provides. That gives on average, maybe 5-7 Mbs. If I'm next to the router will I still achieve this speed, or do d-link routers lack here.

Oh, and resellers should die because I ordered a Macbook two weeks ago from my local reseller and it SHOULD of arrived today, and I call them up, and they tell me it has not yet arrived and that they would have a better idea as to when it would be coming next week Thursday! And it still might take a week or so after that.

And, thus, resellers should die :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.