D-Link PCI Ethernet card not exactly working much

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Jethryn Freyman, Nov 13, 2012.

1. macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Model: D-Link DGE-528T. Lists compatible with Windows, Linux, and "Mac OS 10.2". CD provided with it was Windows-only content.

It's a plain standard PCI card. It have a June 2004 Power Mac G5, the base model with PCI and not PCI-X slots.

I stuck it in my last free PCI port, booted up... but nothing. No video at all. Got a startup chime, but that's it.

Removed it, looked online.

Downloaded drivers from their site for "PPC/Intel Mac OS X 10.4 and later".

Put it back in, powered on again. Got a chime. Was about to think nothing had changed, I got an Apple logo, and a spinning gear. Then it appeared stuck at the spinning gear. I was about to cut power, then it went to the login screen, but then there was hideous lag as I typed my password.

I gave up, cut power, removed the car. I booted into single user mode and remover the driver .kext.

Then everything was fine.

Any ideas as to why this card didn't work for me?

2. macrumors 6502

havokalien

Incompatible driver with apple on board thernet.

Since the Mac already has an Ethernet port I would guess that the driver for apple hardware is incompatible with the d link software. Why are you trying to add a new card?

3. thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I've had a few weird intermittent issues where I love all network connectivity and the Console tells me that the Ethernet port is showing some error... removing the cable for a while fixes it for a few days, plus, you can never have enough Ethernet ports. Or at least, the more the better. The biger the better. etc ;)