D-Link WBR-1310 Router Constantly Locks Up

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by matthewamzn, Jan 24, 2007.

1. matthewamzn macrumors member

I bought a wireless dlink router wbr-1310. I've had it hardwired to my dell desktop, and wirelessly connected to my macbook.

Now I want to have the dell desktop wireless as well (solving the cord across the living problem).

When both computers are wirelessly connected to the router, everything works for a little while. Then the router seems to lock up and I have to unplug it and start it back up.

Any ideas on why this new setup isn't working?

2. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

some wireless routers tend to crap out if the signal strength isn't there. From what you're saying, it sounds like the router worked fine when it was hardwired to the Dell and connected wirelessly to the Mac (right?), but it tends to shutdown when it's wirelessly connected to the Dell. Perhaps a better wireless card for the Dell would solve the issue?

3. matthewamzn thread starter macrumors member

I'm going to get the dlink brand usb adapter that's specifically compatible with my router. Hopefully that will solve the problem. Right now I'm using a dell usb adapter, and it has been trouble from the beginning.

Also.... I have my router set to wpa encryption. Could this be a potential problem? Looking at all the usb wireless adapters... it seems some can only handle wep encryption.

4. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

hmmm...you could try switching it and see if you get better performance. Just make sure you use some encryption. Those war-drivers can be tricky...

5. matthewamzn thread starter macrumors member

What do you mean by 'war-drivers'?

I replaced the dell wireless usb adapter with a dlink usb adapter (for the desktop computer). This seems to have solved the problem. I'm in an apartment building with a LOT of other wireless networks.

6. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

ah...ok

there are people who will cruise around in cars (or what have you) with a wireless-enabled laptop looking for a wireless ethernet signal. If they stumble on to your wireless transmission, then they can gain access to your network and pretty much any information therein, which is why you always want to use some form of packet encryption when you're working with a wireless connection.

link

glad you got your problem worked out :)