D-Link Wireless MIMO ADSL Router? (e7even problems)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by andym172, Jan 11, 2006.

1. andym172 macrumors 6502

Apologies for posting on a subject which I know is covered multiple times every single day, but I'm going bonkers with this one and could do with some advice.

SHORT VERSION:

How do I know that my new modem/router is configured properly if I'm unsure whether my internet connection is working or not?

The model in question is a DSL-G624M wireless 108G MIMO ADSL router If anybody has any experience of configuring this product, and know of any potential pitfalls I'd be highly appreciative if you could post them here
    :)

LONG VERSION:

For the past few years I've been using a D-Link router/modem, connected to an Airport Extreme base station, both which worked like a dream and never gave me any problems.

My ISP is currently "completing the final stages of the long planned network upgrades and migration to the new distributed E7even network". Part of this "network upgrade and migration" requires their user to change their username (the new username is provided by the ISP).

The migration isn't quite working as they had planned, and it's resulting in a lot of downtime for their users. Up until last night our 'old' username was still working (despite being told it would not after 4th January). This has left us in limbo - the old account details no longer work (and any attempted connection is refused), and the new account details only partially work (in that the modem/router says that we're connected, but no IP Address or Gateway is listed, and there's no connection to the internet). The times that it does not connect my modem informs me that there is no 'LCP Response'. So basically, I think it's fair to say that neither the new or old accounts work.

In constantly swapping to-and-from new and old accounts (to see if either work), it appears my modem/router has fried itself. No matter what I do it will not respond to any instructions or prodding of buttons :)p).

So, I've gone out and purchased a new all-in-one wireless modem/router, a DSL-G624M wireless 108G MIMO ADSL router

My question is: how do I know that my new modem/router is configured properly if I'm unsure whether my internet connection is working or not?

As a general guide to UK users reading this, do not even consider using E7even, I've found them to be bloody awful!

2. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

I'll assume this doesn't concern power to the router since that's pretty self explanatory.

Can you log into the router to change its settings? Can other computers ping the router (as in, other computers in your home using the router)?

I would focus on that "new account" of yours instead of switching back and forth between the old and new account. This eliminates a variable and removes a lot of unnecessary troubleshooting.

The router is supported by your ISP, right? Have you confirmed this?

My gut tells me it's the ISP and not the router, but again my advice above is probably a good start.

3. andym172 thread starter macrumors 6502

UPDATE:

It's definitely the ISP which is the problem.

As advised, I tried a different (known to be working) modem/router on my line, and my modem/router on a friends line.

Thankfully my modem/router works perfectly. I'm currently trying to cancel my account with my ISP (e7even) and am now looking for a new ISP.

Any recommendations on how to speed this process would be excellent :)

Thank you for the advice so far :)

4. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

Glad to hear you figured things out. As for picking a new ISP you could go by word of mouth, a directory or look for reviews online. I don't really have any "secrets" that would help you out as most information it out there you just have to go grab it. :D