Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
we'll be getting my brother a d50 for christmas this year. he's an engineer/lawyer with a love for tech and photo/video stuff. the question is:

what lens(es) to get with it?

could obviously go the no lens route, and pick up one on the side

could go with the base lens

or the 2 lens kit...

just curious what people have experienced.

when i got my rebel, i got the 2 lens kit that was available at the time and it seems pretty good, but i'm no lens expert... so any tips would be great... obviously we'd need at least an all around lens, though we could let him spend his own $ to upgrade later... something to consider

thanks

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
For those getting in digital photography and want to know more about the Nikon D50, here's some more info on it.

I bought a Nikon D100 so I'm into digital photography as well in a big way. The lens I got was a Tamron 28-300. Not sure how good or bad this lens is, but it has a nice zoom range and decent quality.

For amateurs, I think one general purpose lens is better. Simply for convenience and the fact one doesn't need to switch out lenses which could be a source of dust contamination on the CCDs.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
in love with my new d50... (see thread here)

that said, the lens that came with mine (18-55; f4.something or other) is fine. certainly not terrific- but still an amazing deal. the focus is a little slow at times, miss the lower f-stops- neither is a big deal... (though i have the advantage of using all of my old lenses with the camera that are much nicer)

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
I agree -- the basic package is a great way to go. The lucky receiver can always buy new lenses.

Having said that, I only had my new D50 for a couple of days. I shot a couple of events and then the camera went away.

The good news is that I will get it back when I find the package under the tree on Christmas morning. (It will probably be the first box opened so I can use it to shoot everyone else opening their presents -- including my wife opening her Nikon Coolpix L1.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.