Da Dock

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macaddictann, Oct 5, 2004.

1. macaddictann macrumors member

Sep 23, 2004
    I was wondering this... just out of curiosity... Is there a maximum on the number of items that can be put in the Dock? Since each icon shrinks as a new one is added once it's reached a certain size, I'd imagine it could keep going until they were all so small as to be completely useless? :D

I fear I'm a bit of a Dock abuser myself. I have an unholy number of things in it (especially at home).

Also, I don't think anyone would really want this, but would it be theoretically possible to have two Docks--say, one on either side of the screen? Would such a thing be useful for people with two monitors hooked up?
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    There's either no real limit, or the limit is very high - higher than you'd ever want, because you'd be lost in a sea of tiny, tiny icons.

Better solution: create folders containing links to your files/apps, then drag those folders to the right ("Trash") side of the dock - right/control clicking (or clicking and holding) on those icons will let you get to any of the enclosed links.

There are also numerous 3rd party apps.
  3. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Jul 19, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    I think you can have "as many items as you want" in da dock, however there has to be a finite number...I don't know what this is.
  4. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I tried minimizing as many windows in Safari as I could a couple of months ago, hehe.... Just let me tell you, my hardware was more of a limit that the OS itself ;)

I managed to get about ~120 before I had to do a force restart. :D :cool:
  5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    I just opened 104 apps. I could have opened more, but I ran out of programs to run.
  6. macaddictann thread starter macrumors member

Sep 23, 2004
    OK, I'm not quite at 120 yet. :)

I keep forgetting about putting folders in it. But then to me, it's all about having quick access without having to open the Finder and go three folders deep to find something. I keep aliases to frequently used files on the desktop (and some other stuff temporarily, heh, which I know I should move).

And check it, the Dock's in alphabetical order. I'm so anal. The Finder's not included in that. It was, but when I tried to move something to the second position, it wouldn't go, then the whole thing went wonky on me. So I'll have to try again later. :)

Attached Files:

7. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

Dec 26, 2003
    Las vegas
    I opened alot

I opened alot of the windows. I think It just keeps resizing the dock. here is a screenshot.

Attached Files:

8. wwooden macrumors 68000

Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT

When I first opened that attachment, I couldn't even tell where the dock was. I was looking all around until I saw a small row of basically "pixels" on the left. I think they should make a limit because when they are that small, it is just useless. On the other hand, there is the magnification option, so I guess it wouldn't be that bad.