Da Vinci Code game promo thing (and fake me out promos in general)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nbs2, May 15, 2006.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I don't knwo if anybody else is/was participating in that Google/Da Vinci Code-promo-disguised-as-a-game-thing, but I just got my cryptex in the mail today.

Not really looking for feedback, just wondering if there are other people who played and if they are in the second phase thing. If there ain't anybody, eh.

On a side note, the thing worked pretty well. It pushed the movie off of my probably-might-think-about-watching-if-it-is-on-against-wheel of fortune-re-runs...maybe list to the hmm-if-the-reviews-don't-really-suck-across-the-board-maybe-i'll-netflix-it list.

As a second question - has anybody here been pulled in by a promo disguised as a game before (either from not to rent or rent to theater or etc)?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

3. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

My art history teacher said that the DaVinci Code book is a bunch of crap. What's the gist of the story now? Something about DaVinci last supper painting giving clues to Jesus haveing a wife or sumthin?

4. Sogo macrumors 6502

Aww...I got tired of trying to figure out the clues...I personally suck at searching..

Nothing for me...sadness... :(

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I completed it too, but have not received any indication (e-mail or US Mail) if I was one of the 10,000. Then again, I won't be home for about 4 hours...

Good luck nbs2 and SilentPanda!

B

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I still haven't gotten an e-mail so there's hope for you yet! Also keep in mind that the cryptex's are supposed to arrive by the 18th and not necessarily today... The cryptex's are from http://noblecollection.com. There is a slight difference in them from the ones pictured (at least for myself and my friend) that actually only the last 2 letters open the cryptex. The first 3 serve no purpose. Not really sure why that is... maybe Sony/Google got a discount on "defective" ones? :p Basically the "key" doesn't have the first 3 notches so only the last 2 catch. Ah well... it was "free"!

If you use a small screw driver you can take the rings off (there are two tiny screws near the right side of the pictured main part) and set them to whatever 5 letter word you want... the first 3 letters still don't do anything but... you could set the code to ___LE or APPLE... :)

[​IMG]

Picture below is the "larger" cryptex they sell... the key for the mini-cryptex I have is more like this one... not sure why... I measure my cryptex and it's definitely the mini one.

[​IMG]

7. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Ha ha! The hubby complained about the two letter key, too! That was the first thing he noticed when he opened it. You're not the only one bummed out by that. :)

I was the one that got the package from the mailman today. It's a good thing I didn't open it before I told the hubby about it, or else he would have been entitled to double the ice cream tonight.... :rolleyes:

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It's a fictional book based on some somewhat sound theories, some conspiracy theories, some fact, blah blah blah. The locations are mostly real places, the major characters mostly not, and a bunch of theories mashed together. A few people started making a big fuss on the "church" side (which I'm on but not making a fuss about because I view it as fiction as do most people) that it was crazy anti-church talk, a few people on the "crazy anti-church" side took it up as a leg to stand on against the Bible, and many TV shows were made on various networks. :) Like many things in life you have extremists on either side, the majority of the sane population in the middle enjoying life, and capitalism making money off of it ultimately taking neither side.

It's a good book I thought. Some people just take fiction too seriously on both sides. Anyway... back to Cryptex talk!

If Doctor Q doesn't have one I am going to be *seriously* disappointed.

9. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

You and Neil must be on the same brain wave! He said the exact same thing on the walk home from the train station.... :eek:

Doctor Q...did you get one??

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I started that game...

...That's as far as I got. I never got passed the first puzzle. I tried for about 5 minutes and then decided I had something better to do.

How much did you complete to get a cryptex?

11. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You had to complete all 24 of them and be one of the first 10,000 to complete the 24th one (you could only do them in order).

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Wow. I'm way too lazy to every do something like that. :eek:

13. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Bah! I did the first 23 games and then went on a trip to Vegas without realizing that the deadline for the final game was so soon. So by the time I returned and went to Google, it was all over.

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

FWIW I let a few puzzles accumulate over the weekends and did them out of order, IIRC you just had to be one of the first 10,000 to finish the last puzzle. The next phase is timed as I understand it. The winner will be whoever solves the puzzle fastest.

The book is fiction, and if it is "anti-church" where does that put "Angels and Demons" in which a Catholic Pope features prominently. Caught bits of an infomercial called "Breaking the Da Vinci Code" over the weekend in which they refuted some of the points in the book by quoting Jesus' words in the Bible. "We know that's not true because Jesus says so in his own words". :rolleyes:

B

15. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Oh I'm not saying it is anti-church at all. I think it's a pure work of fiction and nothing more... just like Go Dog Go...

Guess I didn't know you could do the puzzles out of order... I did one every day almost! If I missed I just clicked on "Next Puzzle" so I guess that kept me in line... but yeah the next part is based on the amount of time it takes you to finish all 5 of these new puzzles... at least it's not the amount of time from when the competition starts... I'll be at work!

16. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Yeah i did the first 20 in about an hour, then forgot about the game until today. Durnit

17. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I didn't make it. Got a "NOT A FINALIST" e-mail. :(

Which puzzle type was your favorite? I ranked them in this order:
    Curator
    Geography
    Symbols
    Chess
    Observation

B

18. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Symbols - I'm a sudoku fan.
    Curator - Is this the one where you hung the pictures up on the wall?
    Geography - Fun but sometimes almost ridiculously impossible.
    Chess - Nice combo of chess with possibility of doing it with just questions if yer no good at chess.
    Observation - Bleah... marketing
    The painting cleaning one... - I hated this one mainly because I wasn't good at it. I'd randomly click them for a bit till I had about 5 left then figure it out.