DAC most matched with Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sesshi, Nov 3, 2007.

1. macrumors G3

Sesshi

A friend of mine - despite my recommendations not to - has bought a Macbook Pro as his 'HTPC'. It's hooked up to the TV, and he uses the Apple remote to control Front Row. He doesn't have a rack as such and perhaps the MBP was a better stylistic decision. Still, what a compromise to make - it's a hokey solution compared to Vista Media Center and it's ecosystem. Anyway, not saying more about that to him.

Among other things he would like better audio and wants a stereo DAC (digital to analog converter). He's familiar with my recently departed DAC, which is 'quite ugly', and my second-string DAC is 'quite boring'. Of my latest DAC, his opinion is 'quite ugly and boring'.

I can't think of any which fits the criteria of echoing the design language of the MBP, and ideally something the MBP can sit on top of. Can you think of one?

2. macrumors member

I'm not sure what kind of budget he has, but if he wants high-quality converters I just recently got the Apogee Duet, and I love it. It's more towards mobile audio production but it looks damn good and the integration with OSX is impressive, since Apple has partnered with Apogee.

Attached Files:

3. macrumors regular

Wow, that's nice looking. I am seriously tempted to get one. :p

4. thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Good suggestion - thanks.

He can definitely afford to go higher but I'll mention this to him.