Dad Says Principal Duct-Taped Son's Pants

Discussion in 'Community' started by musicpyrite, Sep 28, 2004.

1. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

DUNLAP, Ind. - The father of a seventh-grader claims an assistant principal came up with a bizarre way to keep his son's pants from sagging in school: duct tape.

Scott Allison told the Concord School Board earlier this month that his 12-year-old son, Spencer, was ordered by a teacher to lift his shirt after she noticed the boy's underwear was showing above his pants, a violation of Concord Junior High School's dress code.

She sent him to Assistant Principal Patricia Walters, who told Spencer to pull up his pants and tuck in his shirt, Allison said.

"She then proceeded to duct tape his waist, three times around the waist," said Allison. "Then she sent him back to class, in front of his peers."

Linkey

Duck tape proves its usefulness again!

I wish the principal at my school would do something like this. There are many kids at my school that do this kind of stuff. They bend over or something in the hall and it's like DAMN!!! Put that thing away, there are children here!

Kids these days. :mad:

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you just gotta love how schools are starting to get a little creative these days

4. musicpyrite thread starter macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

They have to be creative with all the stuff kids are doing these days. Kids having sex on the school bus, violence (especially at my school), and threats.

There have kids at my school to bring in a water bottle into class, everybody though they were drinking water or Gatorade, but in-fact it was beer.Kids disable the smoking alarms in the bath rooms to smoke. (not really that hard anyways)Kids hiding drugs in between the linings of their purses or back packs.

Gotta keep up with the times buddy. ;)

5. kevin49093 macrumors regular

I've used duck tape on kids at school.
    Works wonders to get the kids to tuck their shirts in and their pants pulled up. As long as it is done with humor, I see nothing wrong with it!

6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

What gets me is the dad's response:

Oh give me a friggin' break. This guy's probably never disciplined his kid and teaches him this stuff is totally acceptable to begin with. I'd like to have seen him in school about 100 years ago, he'd have been horsewhipped for less.

I can think of another great use for duct tape, and it involves his mouth. :mad:

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I think that this is probably beyond the rules of the School District, I mean low rider pants and undershorts showing. More the reason to go to uniforms since parents can't seem to have control over their children. Too many parents feel that kids will be kids, never did my parents feel that way. I lived under their roof and their rules. Some kids today should get used to it. Period.

8. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I think the kid was lucky he didn't go to my school...

Can anyone say "major wedgie?

Duct tape (or gaffa tape as it's called in the UK) is the most important item in a recording studio, WD40 is invaluable in a workshop, no self-respecting modern man should be without either. :D

9. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

What a girly man! :p Is it me, or is the word "outraged" being overused these days? I can't read a letter to the editor in a magazine or newspaper that doesn't start off with "I am outraged...!" People need to chill the **** out and stop being outraged over petty crap. :rolleyes:

10. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

While I'm all for duct tape, the assistant principal in his office has a huge roll of rope. I asked him what it was for (I help in the office every day) and (duh!) he asked me if I needed a belt....haha...."Any size you want!!" :D :D :D

This dress code stuff comes out big in august and september and by november (at least here) it gets cold, and the topic gets dropped.

11. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

That's pretty dumb if you ask me. Embarassing the kid like that with duct tape. T my high school I would wear this Abercrombie shirt on it that had a girl taking off her bikini, they only asked me to turn it inside out at the most. I would just send the kid home. If you lift up my shirt you can see my boxers. You can't see alot but you can see some. I sense the dad having a lawsuit over this if I had to guess.

iJon

12. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

this is the problem with school

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

It is really a matter of what we are willing accept as "acceptable" dress within the schools. I consider my myself liberal, but since parents, students, and schools can't seem to agree on what is right or wrong. Then uniforms are the answer.

14. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

not sure about my hs yet but in ms they would loan kids belts who did that, then send 'em to in school suspension for the day. duct tape seems like a better idea cause kids would always steal the belts, then show up again without one. oh and about what musicpyrite said, some kid i knew got busted for zima in an ozarka water bottle :eek:

15. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Personally I'm outraged by the outrage. :D

17. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

That's akin to saying, "Democrats and republicans can't agree, so let's nuke the whole damn country". Killing a fly with a mallet. Adolescence is about learning real life, so you can become an adult, because you'll be in the real world soon. Learning to dress onesself is part of that... And learning the consequences of any particular style of dress.

The school sounds far too lenient on it's dress code enforcement. Strike one, send home to change, or turn inside out. Strike two, 3-day in-school suspension. Strike three, expulsion. Combine that with a sensible dress code that says "intact pants, shirt, footwear, all in the right places" and situations like this wouldn't be an issue. If the little bastard can't keep his ass from falling out, he doesn't get to go to HS anymore. It's not our problem, or the school's problem, if that happens... if the principal wants to get creative, he should find a new way to teach math, not ways to embarrass kids into compliance...

paul

18. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Superglue. :D

And people having sex on school buses...."Dubya tee eff?" WTF????????
    Totally boggles the mind. :confused: :eek:

19. musicpyrite thread starter macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Most excellent point Paul, many schools seem far far to lenient on things like dress code, attitude, etc. I see many kids (supposedly 'young adults' :rolleyes: ) who give up easily, and act like they don't want to be in school at all, and are just a burden to those of us who want to learn.

What this principal did was good, using mostly peer pressure to try and get the kid to wear his pants. But unfortunately, in the 'real life' people aren't going to hold you hand like this, they'll just haul off and fire you sorry ass.

School seems to have changed into something like 'how far can I push the rules?' = people coming to school half naked.

20. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Exactly, I'm sure they all had a good laugh about the duct tape, it was an Event. If I came in with my pants around my upper thighs, my boss would surely not tape my pants up-- she'd haul my ass in her office and it would not be pretty. I might keep my job but only because she likes me. I guess it doesn't bother me that the principal did it-- it's not like it's abuse, it didn't destroy his property (i should think anyway), it was harmless. But we the taxpayers are paying for cutsey little stunts like this, and I'd rather be paying for something worthwhile.

Sidenote, and this may just be the fag in me. Didn't this style of underwear exhibitionism die out with low-rise jeans and the rest of the whore look? Maybe they should be teaching a fashion sense class at this school... I'm not knocking low rise jeans, after how long I worked out to look good in them, but it's so last year.

:)
    paul

21. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

ha ha. funny stuff. wow, what an embarassment for the poor kid. hopefully he learnt his lesson now, kids should now you can't just go around showing your underwear.

i dont' think the 'plumber was smiling in this school'. the kid would have had his underwear covering up... down below, right?

i wonder if that principl has a can of WD-40 ready to spray squeaky wheel chairs, or stuff like that? :p

22. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

At my old school they made you wear clown type looking pants if you wore pants that sagged to your knees basically. I like the duct-tape idea though. Pretty neat.

23. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

oops...i love wearing low-rise jeans. im not sure why; they just seem more comfortable and most of them have slim thighs which i like. not that im exactly in shape or anything and probably shouldnt be wearing them:pa lot of my friends who wear like tight pandts and stuff still sag them and it looks all f*ed up

24. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

that is stupid. the school just wanted to make a point of embarassing the kid in front of the school so other kids wouldnt wear their pants like that (my guess).

baggy pants isn't really an issue where i live. it was about 6 years ago, but i think most people have grown out of the 'gangster' stage.

25. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i would have just sent the kid home; it would cause all this hubub, personaly i like the duct tape idea, but hey kids got feelings too and rights BAH