Dad's new mac mini, I need some help...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by stevey500, Jun 27, 2005.

1. stevey500 macrumors 6502

Hello, well I talked my dad into getting mac, so he did... he got the 1.42ghz mac mini... he was a PC user, of course. Well... his printer he had set up with his PC is not working with the mac mini, its the Lexmark x4270 all in one fax/copy/scan/print deal. The mac recognizes it but does not have the drivers, I check out lexmark site, and they do not have the drivers for mac. Is there any way possible to get the mac just to print, because that is all that he uses it for, besides faxing and he does that manually. This is a must.

He use to use Corel Word Perfect 8 for all his documents and I know I can convert them over by saving every individual one as .rtf but is there a program out there anywhere that can automatically convert these files to save time?

Thanks, any help appreciated.

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I don't have Tiger installed, but I assume you do. Couldn't Automator do that? At the Apple Store the employee told us you can do a similar thing by converting JPGS to TIFFs as an example.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

For the printer, I hate to bear bad news, but I don't think that printer is supported either natively or under GIMPPrint. You might try some of the other GIMPPrint Lexmark drivers and see if you get lucky, but that's about it. :(

For the Corel files. If you can open them, and save them as RTFs on the Mac, then why do you need to convert all of them now? Can't you leave them alone and then re-save them as necessary? If you're talking about converting them in Windows, I'm not sure. I'm not sure if anything on Macs can open Corel files. Office 04 doesn't seem to have the capability, and I'm not even sure OOo can do it. :(

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

MacLink Plus

I've not used it since OS 9, but used it for years from 7.1 to 9.2.2.
    It was a life saver on more then one occation. I bet it'll batch convert everything to word/rtf/txt/whatever you want.

EDIT: In fact, from the supported file types section:

5. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Im in a similar situation.

I want to get my uncle a Mac Mini for his office but they*all use WordPerfect.

He really wants to just type like "Contract of Sale - Client Name" and have it come up (spotlight) and I was wondering if Spotlight would be able to index these such files, and the text within them (not just the file name).

Also, I dont want him to have to go through a process of saving these files in a certain format and then converting so others in the office can read them. Its gotta be easy.

6. kzg macrumors member

Wordperfect

Every one i know uses wordperfect also, for opening them i use AbiWord, it works for most all wordperfect files including the older ones. Its free and lets you save it in other formats. Best of all its on the mac and open source.

AbiWord Homepage

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

He can still use wordperfect - free

http://acmfiles.csusb.edu/corel/wpmac.html

8. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Wouldnt that have difficulty in viewing newer Word Perfect files?

And is AbiWord spotlight compatible like I stated above in my post?

9. kzg macrumors member

10. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

11. fuzzwud macrumors regular

Isn't there a WordPerfect for mac version? I've found a Yahoo Group that may have knowledge into this specific situation:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordperfectmac/

As far as getting your Lexmark printer to work, is it usb connected? Can you add it as a generic printer?

12. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, i got word perfect figured out... Now it's just printer... and the way my dad is, he wont get a different printer, he will simply take the mini back.. so i gotta figure that out quick... oh by the way, thanks everyone so far :)

13. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

You're probably SOL on the printer. I would just get him a new combo printer. They're not that expensive. I have an HP 5510 that copies, printes, faxes, etc and it only cost $150. Or ask yourself, does he really need/use all of those functions? If the answer is no, and he just needs a regular printer, then you can get a very good simple USB printer for under $100. Heck, you can get an HP Laser Printer for $149 thats quiet and prints quite fast and it looks good too.

14. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

What was your solution for Wordperfect?