Daemons, Delete=Speed Up

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Benji222, May 31, 2011.

1. macrumors 65816

Benji222

Done this to a couple of phones now.. No adverse effects with the ones labelled in green. If anything, better RAM+battery+speed. May be physicking myself out.. But it seems like it.

Thought I would share!

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224341

2. macrumors 6502a

Very interesting! I will see what other more advanced hackers do with this, and will probably try it / post my results here.

Could it improve battery life? Mine is SO bad

3. macrumors 68020

awadeee

I think it will improve both battery life and free up RAM.

4. macrumors 68020

Prodo123

That's nothing new. Thanks for sharing, though. :)
    Also, it's common sense that getting rid of excess background processes that you can't see will speed up your phone.

5. macrumors 6502a

Okay I went through and deleted some stuff. I have "launchdemons.backup" without anything deleted, and put it in system/library/

Does this mean that deleting what i deleted out of the other folder does nothing? Where does the backup go on the phone?

6. macrumors 6502a

Bawstun

Deleted all of the 'safe' plists and many of the conditional ones, and all of the others (if I didn't use them or have a need for them). I kept the push notification ones and several others that I needed/used, but all in all deleted probably around 15-20 plists.

I don't notice anything different? Boot time didn't seem noticeably different and I haven't noticed anything so far...but no negative effects yet either. Made a back up just in case. If nothing else maybe I'll get something out of my battery. I have a launch day IP4 so being a 1 year old battery now is taking its toll. :)

7. thread starter macrumors 65816

Benji222

I didnt either, but then I got home from what i thought was a heavy usage day and was surprised at extra battery.
    I also found that my phone just seemed a little smoother.
    granted I did clean the entire phone, not just the deamons.. so maybe it was something else but I feel like this is a no brainer if it has no adverse effects

8. macrumors 68020

awadeee

9. thread starter macrumors 65816

Benji222

Ok i was going to do that, but I felt it was only going to give me memory. it speeds it up???

10. macrumors regular

thats from 09 lol anyone know of any updated info on this?

11. thread starter macrumors 65816

Benji222

same useless daemons...
    not needed.

12. macrumors 6502a

Bawstun

How do we remove the extra language packs?

13. macrumors 68020

awadeee

You can download SH files (not to be confused with SSH or SHSH :D) and then SSH into the phone using WinSCP and put it in the root folder I'm pretty sure (it's been a while) and then run terminal on the phone (available from cydia's xsellize repo for 4.x.x) and run the file. Some language removal "applications" with allow you to pick and choose from inside the terminal which langs you would like to delete while other ones just delete everything except english and japanese.

14. macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Why go through all this trouble when you can download FakeClockUp for free and see instant results?

15. macrumors 68020

awadeee

FCU is okay but decent at best. While you will see an indisputable increase in the UI kit, I find that even if it opens a window quicker, it's still going to take a while for the data itself to load. I had a 3G before I sold it, and I often saw a white screen for several seconds before seeing what the page was supposed to display. This fix is pretty much like duct tape. Sure, the screens will open quicker, but staring at the white background for several seconds is just as annoying as it taking that long for the window to open period.

16. macrumors regular

what program would you recommend for taking out language packs? I installed openssh and have winscp, but I'm not sure where to go from there. i did a bunch of google searching and only came up with stuff for older firmwares.

17. murdercitydevil, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011

macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Thanks for this! I deleted most of the safe daemons and a few conditional ones, not really a noticeable difference on my ip4. Then again, my phone was running nice and fast before as well. Either way, couldn't hurt!

EDIT: If you want to get rid of language packs I think the easiest way is to install lang2ez from insanelyi's repo. Seems to work fine.

18. macrumors 68020

awadeee

19. macrumors regular

20. macrumors 68020

awadeee

That's a decent idea. The phone I did this on didn't get the privilege of a backup because I ended up restoring and selling it about an hour later. :p

21. macrumors newbie

Could someone be troubled to dumb this down in a big way? I have an ipod touch 2nd generation (I believe), running ios 4.1 and I use an iMac g5 running OS 10.4.11. I have no idea what SSH means or how to do it and I haven't jailbroken my device.

Basic questions - to delete these daemon files must I jailbreak my ipod? Can't I just go into Finder and delete them?? If I do have to jailbreak it, I'm fine with that (it's almost 3 yrs old at this point), especially if it will speed things up as it has become ridiculously sluggish, but I'm not sure where to begin.

I just did a bit of searching and trying to no avail to run redsnow (?), greenpoison (?), etc. none of which seem to run on os x 10.4.11. (My imac is power pc, not intel). Overwhelming to say the least!

Anyway, seems crazy to have to do all this to simply get my ipod touch running faster again, but I'm will to give it a go if I could get some direction. Thanks!

MadtownCapsFan

22. macrumors 6502a

23. macrumors 65816

kalirob99

Thanks, very interesting and descriptive read! :D

24. thread starter macrumors 65816

Benji222

not sure tbh... :/

25. macrumors 65816

kalirob99

Yeah, for now.. I'd give that a solid no till expert confirmation.