Daft, Stupid & Funny Local Laws

Discussion in 'Community' started by mpw, May 17, 2005.

1. mpw Guest

Having been inspired by another thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=127127&page=1&pp=25) regarding the abolition of a ‘daft’ law restricting alcohol sales between states in the ‘Land of the Free’ I thought I’d ask for suggestions for other daft local laws that need repealing where you are.

I’m not looking to debate the laws necessarily but thought it might be entertaining to hear what our respective Governments think is important or where they feel we’re all incapable of looking after ourselves.

To kick off;

There is a law here in Jersey that says you can’t piss in the street. Now I think that’s fair enough but there is an exception if you’re pissing on the rear wheel of you car.

Homosexuality has been legal for only 10-15years but it is still only legal between two people. I (if I were lucky) could share my bed with 20women without a problem but, hypothetically, if my boyfriend and I having sex it would be illegal to even have a third person in the room watching, male or female.

You can’t buy cut flowers on a Sunday unless they were grown on-site.

You also can’t buy a Bible on a Sunday.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I seem to recall a thread on this before but can't find it.

Funnily enough, there was a article about London's archaic laws on the BBC site last week on the efforts to try to repeal some of the most archaic ones; including such things as cabbies are supposed to ask you if you have smallpox or the plague before they'll take you somewhere - or perhaps that's just if you ask them to go south of the river. :p

Londoners can't shake a doormat in the street after 8am - or have pigsties in their front gardens. But can drive a flock of sheep over Tower Bridge (if they're a freeman of the City).

3. iGary Guest

iGary

Baltimore:

It's illegal to take a lion to the movies.

It's illegal to throw bales of hay from a second-story window within the city limits.

It is a violation of city code to sell chicks or ducklings to a minor within 1 week of the Easter holiday.

It is a park rule violation to be in a public park with a sleeveless shirt. $10 fine. This would include joggers that go shirtless. (1898)

You may not curse inside the city limits.

Though you may spit on a city roadway, spitting on city sidewalks is prohibited.

Columbia

Though clotheslines are banned, clothes may be draped over a fence.

You can not have a antenna exposed outside of your house yet you can have a 25' satellite dish.

Ocean City

Eating while swimming in the ocean is prohibited.

A law from the early 1900's prohibits men from going topless on the Boardwalk. (Repealed)

4. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Was it this one ?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=125636

5. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Not exactly funny, but interesting nevertheless:

Germany doesn't have the death-penalty anymore. In one German region (Hessen) though, the death-penalty is still a valid law. Just because state laws "break" regional laws, murderers can be glad that they just go to prison.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...