Daily Gadget Giveaways?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Synergie, Dec 28, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

On Facebook, a very sketchy page seems to be 'giving away' tons of free apple products to random people who 'like' and share their page and photos. In the contact info, they list Macrumours website...

Just checking to see if this site is in fact associated with the above FB giveaways. Because they seem to me to have all the markings of a scam. No winners are ever posted (until recently) and I suspect those are not even real. They often link to sites that try to get you to sign up to numerous SMS subscription services that cost quite a bit...

ANyway if you are not associated with this, you should know that your site is being used to make them seem more legit.

https://www.facebook.com/OnlyFreeProducts

2. macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Definitely a scam. I took a post at random, and the spelling & grammar is shocking:

Hit the Like button if you want to win next

Congrats to Emily Stewart from Germany on winning our Christmas iPad giveaway! Hope we made Santa's job alot easier ;)
    Want to be the next winner? it's Easy Like our facebook fan page to be updated on our latest giveaways ! http://www.facebook.com/onlyfreeproducts

[/B]

3. macrumors G5

Macman45

If something is too good to be true, then it IS...:)

4. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

MacRumors doesn't promote giveaway's on Facebook or on the site itself. I've never seen Arn mention anything like it before.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

I know it's likely to be a scam... which i why I wanted to inform Macrumours that the scammers are using the macrumours website to make it look legit.

6. Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Thank you - I've passed the info on to arn.

7. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

looks like it got pulled

arn

8. macrumors newbie

Still there

It is still there. Still saying that this is there website. Why do people do that? How are they going to scam people? Just doesn't make any sense anymore.

9. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I don't see them linking it to MacRumors anymore

arn