Daily workout

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by crazycat, Dec 14, 2006.

1. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I turned my dining room (stop eatign there one year ago) into a small gym. I have a cycle, running and cross-training machine. I try to do 30 mins of cardio when i dont feel liking going to the gym but when i do go I do some wight lifting (light wight) plus 30 mins of the cardio.

I would like to know if 30 mins is enough, i know its better then nothing but is it enough doing 30 mins a day 5 days a week?

2. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

I should think so... it might not be enough to get you into incredible shape, but it ought to keep you from gaining any weight, assuming your diet isn't horrible.

You should get a rowing machine! 30 minutes of that will definitely be good. but I'm a crew person so slightly biased :p.

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

4. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

depends on the quality of your workout, if you spend 5 minutes warming up, 10 minutes cooling down, and only break a light sweat, maybe not. If you get your heart rate up to 90% ish for 20-30 minutes a day 5 days a week, that is pretty good.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, if you're not working up a sweat then it's probably better to do forty-five minutes every second day instead. They key is finding a routine that is sustainable. There's no point in exercising intensely for a month or two, only to get burnt out and go back to no exercise. Fitness isn't something that necessarily comes quickly (but it also doesn't leave quickly) so work on the long term. If you're getting really tired of your routine, mix it up a little and maybe tone it down. Good luck. :)

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Try HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training), sprint for 5mins or so and then jog for a bit. Do a Google search for some really good information.

Plus if your goal is to lose weight you would probably be better off doing weights rather than cardio, if your goal is general fitness the rowing machine is definatly the way to go.

7. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

every bit of information out there says different, by the way. cardio (and diet) is the best thing you can do to lose weight.

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Have you got any sources? When I say lose weight, what I should really say is lose fat. If you lift heavy weights and eat just enough to maintain your body weight then you will burn the fat.

Edit : Just done some searching, and I am right weight loss and body recomposition by weight training is the best way.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm told the exact opposite. Heavy weights will build muscle size but will not necessarily lose weight. Cardio work burns the fat. :eek:

10. wimic macrumors regular

wimic

When you do cardio training you burn tons of calories (assuming your heart rate reaches a fat burn or cardio rate - which is based on your age and current weight).

Cardio training, although it is great for you, only works for you when you're doing it. If you weight train (even without the intention of building large amounts of muscle) the extra muscle mass that you develop will work for you when you're doing regular activities, as increased muscle mass requires more calories to function.

I like to complement my cardio regement (50 mins, 3-5 times per week) with upper body weight training.