daisy chain external hard drives?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrpaperknife, Nov 17, 2005.

1. mrpaperknife macrumors member

I just bought a second external hard drive and I have them daisy chained by firewire, but I was wondering why it is that OS X will only mount one of the drives at a time or is it the drives themselves that prevent them from both mounting at the same time?
    I hope my question makes sense.
    thanks!

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Are the HDs self powered or do they draw power from the Firewire connection? In the latter case there might not be enough power to drive both drives (;)).

Both are formatted properly and show up when connected alone, right?

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

It's normal. If they are daisy chained, both drives have to be on. You can always buy a firewire hub and connect all the drives to it, that way, you won't get the sequence of mounted drives. And it's also a good way to go about it if you are constantly switching drives in and out in a production environment.

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

And if both are one, but only one mounts, check the connections. They should be able both to mount at the same time. I have my ipod chained through my ext. HD. No problems with that arrangement, inclding charding the pod.

5. poolin1243 macrumors 6502

hmm interesting...should work...i know ive gonnected like 4 of the smartdisk firelite fw 400 drives together and it works fine?