daisy chain ipod?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fhqwhgads, Nov 4, 2006.

1. fhqwhgads macrumors member

Jun 13, 2003
    I have a G4 Cube which I never use but would like to use as a sort of music hub. The trouble is, in order to be useful I'd want to be able to use my ipod with it, and since I have an ipod photo, firewire connectivity isn't supported, and I don't want to transfer music at 1.1 speeds. So I'm wondering if I could cheat a little and buy an external hard drive that has both FW400 and USB 2.0 and daisy chain the ipod onto the cube via the external, using it as sort of a converter. It sounds like the kind of thing that won't work, but I'd love to get that functionality out of the cube if I could. Any thoughts on if that would work, or on some other way to get USB 2.0 connectivity out of my Cube that doesn't involve a soldering iron?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
  2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2005
    While Firewire was designed to be daisy chained, USB was not. The connection needs to be controlled from a central computer. Your drive is not going to pass the USB connection through the firewire connection. It may be time to think about getting a mini.
  3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    I have an iPod Photo (4G Colour Screen iPod) and it supports Firewire just fine. These were the last iPods to retain the support.