Daisy Chaining Lacie d2s?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by cluthz, Sep 20, 2004.

1. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I've been looking at external firewire harddrives the last weeks,
    and both Maxtor (One-touch) and Western Digital (DualOption) supports Daisychaning. I have tried to find out on Lacie's website if they support it, but no luck.
    So does the LaCie d2 Hard Drive Extreme (fw400/fw800) support daisy chaining ?

The reason i'm asking if i have to buy a fwirewire hub to connect both my Gen 1 ipod and a the drive.

2. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

off course they do support that... only USB (1.1 &2.0) never has this option...

the triple interface D2 has 1 USB2.0 2 FW800 & 1 FW400 connector

my 'old' D2 has 2 FW400 and I daisychain my scanner trough it and my iPod is on the end: the connector from the Scanner...

with FW drives (optical & harddrives) wich have more than one connector its common that you can daisychain...

J

3. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-cluthz

A word: Yes.

There are two FW 400 ports on the back of D2's. Daisy-Chain away!

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I didn't have much luck either, but I can tell you this:
    In theory, since the FireWire standard supports freeform daisy-chains, any FireWire device with the necessary hardware (meaning multiple FireWire ports) can be daisy-chained with any other FireWire device, using adapters if necessary because of the different FW400 and FW800 connectors.

5. cluthz thread starter macrumors 68040

cluthz

Thank you all for the info!

Only to straighten this out a bit:
    The LaCie d2 extreme (fw400/800) does have 2 ports or; two 400 and two 800?
    I only have one fw400 port on the pb. can the fw400 and fw800 ports be d.chain'ed (with a apropriate adapter)?

6. tateusmaximus macrumors member

tateusmaximus

can you have this setup:

computer <---> firewire hdd <---> computer

?
    ie. have two computers being able to access the same firewire hdd? i have two laCie d2 320G but wouldnt mind being able to access the hdd from both comps without having to unplug it and plug it into the next comp.

cheers

7. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-tateusmaximus

Oo. Good question. I wish to do this as well - but am afraid of shorting something out should I do.

Bump.

8. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

in my previous post you will notice: 1x USB2.0 2X FW800 1X FW400 so you can connect from your Pbook to one of the three Firewire ports and daisychain from another one further... FW800 is backwards compatible... so you can connect (using the right connectors) it into FW400...

and about the 2comp one drive question: DON'T try this at home :p just imagine both computers sending different commands to the same drive at the same time... well darn wich info did I need to find again??? if you want to be able to do that you need to shut down one computer before booting the other one... or connect it to one and get the files trough a network... you want your drive to 'act' as a server... they build NAS and servers for that reason :)

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Nope - that doesn't work. The only way for multiple computers to access the same FireWire HDD is by sharing it over the network.

10. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Well you can network 2 Macs together using FireWire. Its a new, kinda hidden feature in Mac OS X.3 (Panther). Its called IP-over-FireWire. You have to activate the FireWire port in the Network System Preference first. So go to the Apple Menu and then to System Preferences. Next, click on Network and then under the Show: pull down menu, click on Network Port Configurations. Next, click on New, and a sheet should pop down. Under the Port pulldown menu, select FireWire, and I'd just name it FireWire so you know what it is. Then click ok and you should be ready to go after you do the same on the other Mac. I have tired it and yes, it does work. So you can have a little mini 400mbps network. I dunno if this will work with a drive in between the 2 computers though. You can just connect the drive to one of the Macs and then share the drive to the other computer. Thats easy enough.

If it doesn't work then I think you have to have the FireWire port selection on top. To do that, go back into the Network System Pref and select Network Port Configurations from the pulldown menu. Then click and hold FireWire and drag it to the top of the list. This will give the FireWire ports higher priority than the others.

11. tateusmaximus macrumors member

tateusmaximus

thanks heaps mklos! and to you otherse that advised me against shorting my lacie! i wasnt going to try it until i had some evidence that it wouldnt work. many peolple saying that its not a good idea is enough for me

i was wondering how to do a firewire netowrk also. ill connect up the two machines then the lacie to one machine and share it.
    ill let you know how it goes.

cheers

12. tateusmaximus macrumors member

tateusmaximus

yreah works great mklos! thanks heaps

can you do the same between mac and pc? i know theres a sticky thread on this but i dont think its for firewire. thanks heaps though ill go chck that out and see if its got firewire connection.

13. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

My HP Pavilion has support for IP-over-Firewire. I suppose I can network it with my Mac. Firewire actully shows up under Network Connections in XP. The Macs should have it under Network Connections by default. But adding it isn't difficult.

Also, what is that 6to4 option, or something like that? Something for IPv6 and IPv4 translation?

I'm planning to stick a Firewire card in my other XP computer (which dosen't get used much), stick it next to this one, connect them via firewire, and set use that little program (forgot what it is called) thaqt send keuboard and mouse signals over a network, so that they can share the same keyboard and mouse.

Or I can use Remote Access to control the other one.

14. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

6to4 has nothing to do with IP and everything to do with FireWire cables. You see, there are two different FireWire cables: powered (6-pin) and unpowered (4-pin). 6to4 is a way of getting Macs (which always have 6-pin FW ports) and PCs that only have the 4-pin variety to talk to each other over FireWire.