daisychaining the cam and ext hd to pb

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by krappamc, Apr 21, 2005.

1. krappamc macrumors member

hey guys.
    i currently own 12" pb and is looking to upgrade to 15" because i do video work.
    the reason i want to upgrade is that 15" does have FW 800 AND FW 400 which i can plug in my ext hd (FW800/400) and camcorder into.
    But, i want to ask you guys that, if i do daisy chain camcorder and hard drive into the FW 400 port, could i be dropping a lot of frames?
    or, would it be perfectly fine to daisychain?

please give me detailed answer asap because i am about to sell off my 12" pb!!

thank you guys! :D

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

When I tried this with my 17" before I had the FW800 drive, FCP reported dropped frames on capture, but seemed perfectly happy to allow the capture to continue, and I can't say I noticed the missing frames in the footage.

I used a Maxtor 7200rpm 100gig drive and a Sony handicam, one of the early 1 megapixel models.

It didn't seem to affect the overall performance of the video, which I edited without problems.

The FW800 drive reports no dropped frames at all.

Hope this helps.

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Probably not a good idea to daisychain in this particular configuration, especially with the 12" PB. The 15" and 17" have a PC Card which you should install a 2nd firewire port for this very reason.

4. krappamc thread starter macrumors member

5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Both the 15 and 17 have a second port, it's the FW800 port, perfect for audio and video applications.