Dam blocking of OS features.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Opteron, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Opteron macrumors 6502

Dam Uni:mad: I'm doing web design this semister at uni, either on emacs or PC's, and I'd like to do the design on the emacs just to learn more about how OSX and it's features work. However on the eMacs so many features have been disabled, or access has been denied, and it ***** me to tears. It just becomes really frustrating. On the PC's nothing has been disabled and you can even install/uninstall programs.

Has anyone elso had issues with their educational instution blocking access to certain features of computer OS's. Or knows a way arround it:rolleyes:

2. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

At OSU they used this winNT login system that limited your features. Software installation, date/time, pretty much everything other than what was on your desktop wasn't allowed.. they had this homegrown login application though that was kinda buggy, if you'd terminate the application during the login sequence, you'd get admin privledges.. I'm not sure how that helps you, but it was cool.

In order to get around your school's blocking features, might I suggest, buy a powerbook. :)

3. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I know what you mean! You can access your student storage on a non-campus owned computer (even a Mac) but ONLY if you are OFF CAMPUS! You can have a non-campus computer hooked up to the internet, but only in your dorm room with it specially registered. So you can't take a laptop anywhere else to any of the multiple open network jacks and use the network. If I'd known that, I'd would have bought a G5 Tower rather than this PowerBook. Also, you can ONLY send E-mails with MS Outlook. The tech said it has to do with security. I was under the impression that Outlook was one of MS's biggest security issues? Wouldn't it be better then to deny only Outlook's requests?

I can't WAIT to move off campus next year!

4. Opteron thread starter macrumors 6502

That's an expencinve way arround the problem:p. I'm currently savng for a dual opteron work station.

5. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Well if there was a way around it, that would mean OS X would have secuirty issues that would need to be addressed.

You might try asking an admin to help you out.

At my school we have only 4 eMacs and over 1000+PCs No one cares about the eMacs so they have nothing disabled. That is the only chance I get to use a Mac :)

6. zamyatin macrumors regular

The guerrilla warfare approach would be to install numerous spyware apps, keystroke loggers, p2p file sharing apps and all kinds of pirated software and questionable images/videos on the windows boxes. Turn them into servers for sharing said software and files across campus. Then anonymously report the offense to the BSA. Wham! Windows boxes gone. Or at least they'll be locked down right tight after that.

Oh, and don't forget to mess with windows registry/system settings to ensure instability and users' hatred of the wintel boxes.

7. Oirectine macrumors regular

Oirectine

That's diabolical. I love it.

8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

There's one of two possibilities for that:
    1)Someone messed up and left the machines open
    2)There's a utility such as Clean Slate running on the PC

As a lab technician at a university, I can tell you how much we really appreciate students "getting around" security limitations. :rolleyes:

It's not your box, why should you be allowed to do anything you want with it? Besides, what OS-level functionality do you need to play with for your web design?

9. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Well there is one thing I've seen on the 2.0G5's (running 10.3.2) at school. I recently decided to try downloading Camino on those--and well, lo and behold (my first) the dialogue goes that I need to drag Camino into the "Applications" folder. Well guess what? Access denied (or whatever the applicable message was). Fortunately, my university allows "Temporary Storage", and this is the form of a mounted HD on the desktop.

Hmm... Clean Slate sounds like some kind of Ghosting software...but i'm probably wrong haha.

10. Opteron thread starter macrumors 6502

It's not that they the class tasks are hinerded, but in my free time I would like to be able to explore the Mac OS, since that is the only access I really have to it.
    I more or less have used windows exclusivley for the last 7 years, and while I know winXP like the back of my hand I want to have an informed opinion as to which operating offers the benifits I most desire.

11. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Mav451-
    Clean Slate tracks changes made to the system and, on restart, restores the OS the original system. We use it on our PCs - it works pretty well, but incurs a performance penalty for the change tracking and restoration.

Opteron-
    That's understandable. Talk to the techs and see if they can set up a system for you to learn on.

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I know what you mean, restrictions can often get in the way of legitimate uses. Fortunately I didn't run into them too much. Now that I'm in my third year, we don't have any restrictions :) We're in a special third-year computer lab, where the computers are "ours" - they're not shared among multiple users :D

13. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Yea, I really hate restrictions on the computers at my school, but I totally understand them. There were a few Macs that didn't have restrictions and they got totally screwed up by people who didn't know what they were doing (or maybe they did know).

Either way, stupid people ruin it for the rest of it...

14. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Yeah, like the ones who download attachments from e-mails with subjects like "your message" and "important document."