Dam breaks in Kauai

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by emw, Mar 15, 2006.

1. emw macrumors G4

emw

2. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Wow! That's terrible! I hope the remainder of the dams are okay.

That's not where you're going is it??

3. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

No, I'll be on the big island of Hawaii. Sounds like the state has had a bunch of rain the past couple of weeks, but it's supposed to tail off soon after we get there. I hope.

Of course, 10 days without the kids is a true vacation with or without the sun.

Back to the dam, though, the fact that there could be others on the island that are subject to potential failure is not comforting. Apparently Kauai is still fairly rural despite the development, and something like this could be disastrous. If my wife weren't pregnant, I'd consider heading over there while we're in the area to see if we could help.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Make sure you leave enough food within reach of their little chained arms.

5. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Man oh man, that's some horrifying footage. I hope those missing people turn up okay soon.

We were in Kaua'i just six or seven weeks ago. They had an abnormally dry December and January, so we didn't see much precipitation while we were there. Looks like they're getting it back and then some. Mount Wai Ale'Ale is the rainiest spot in the world.

It's a beautiful, extremely laid-back place: I highly recommend it! It's definitely not as heavily developed/touristed as Maui, and that's a large part of its charm/appeal.

I saw some guy on the Pihea trail toting a WWDC 2005 backpack. Reminding myself that I was on vacation, I didn't approach him to talk shop. :)

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I think kauai has the worst weather. I was their when they were filming Jurassic Park with that huge hurricane. Luckily we had had left a few days before the hurricane hit.

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

We went to Kauai (along with Maui) for our honeymoon back in November. It was a beautiful island, far less touristy and commercialized than the bigger islands, and we loved it. Terrible news. :(

8. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

...and some airholes in the box.

9. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

That would be best case, but whenever someone is missing after a dam break, I don't hold high hopes. :(