Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
So is there no DAM out there that is simple, referenced and yet sufficiently complex to handle all file types.
Is writing a DAM not financially attractive enough, am I just unaware of such a product.

Basically I suppose I would like such a product to exist - So thoughts please??

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Most photography DAMs should handle the common image files types like jpg, tif, ing, and maybe png. But it can very hit or miss if and when their DAM's raw converter will handle the proprietary raw file formats from many different camera brands and models.

What are your detailed requirements? Specially what photo/image file types do you use that are not supported....and in which DAMs are they not supported?

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Do you mean handle all media files? or all files of any type?

What works for still images doesn't work so hot for video, or even PDFs. Different needs, different tools. Why have an application that does all of them—you just end up with too many compromises, or something so simplified it's just the Finder or a Finder alternative.

And BTW DevonThink is a file manager that can reference any file that you can store on a Mac. And that's true for Filemaker as well, if you want to go to perhaps the higher end and have someone design a database for your needs. Or Fotoware, or if you have lots of stuff (like say a museum) there are products like Extensis' Portfolio. And there are more, including lots of open source projects, like ResourceSpace, which I think was first developed by OxFam.

We used Devonthink in a small office and it works great. Easy to use, good support, and affordable.

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
In a word, no.

Aperture Was. Thanks a lot Apple.

Capture One is promising but expensive and still has a way to go DAM-wise.

Lightroom has the most ugly, old fashioned and plain clunky UI I've ever had the misfortune to try.

You would think something else would be waiting in the wings, but it would seem not...

Reactions: MJWMac1988

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
For photography Lightroom. It may be ugly but it's more stable and more thoroughly thought out for productivity than Aperture. For a variety of file types, take a look at Photo Supreme.

I moved to Photo Supreme for DAM and C1 for develop. Due to some C1 unique issues with C1 I switched the DAM over to Lightroom. Very pleased with it. Yes, it's ugly, the GUI is a mess and t's terrible on display space utilization. But it's stable and it does everything.

Reactions: page3

noirflou

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2015
I would suggest MediaPro1 from PhaseOne (used to be iViewMediaPro). It is a digital asset management tool that will read your photo files, but also PDFs, fonts, txt, rtf, html, css, doc files and will give you a very flexible catalog. It is advertised for photos, but will make a catalog of all the file types above (just did a quick catalog of the items on my desktop). A free catalog reader is available so you can exchange a catalog you created with anyone else (who will only need to install the Reader).
It is available for Mac OS and Windows. Catalogs produced on either systems can be read/worked on on either system.
I have been using MediaPro since 2002 (13 years!).

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Imaging-Software/Media-Pro.aspx?

Reactions: USAntigoon

USAntigoon

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
Rochester Hills, MI
I would suggest MediaPro1 from PhaseOne (used to be iViewMediaPro). It is a digital asset management tool that will read your photo files, but also PDFs, fonts, txt, rtf, html, css, doc files and will give you a very flexible catalog. It is advertised for photos, but will make a catalog of all the file types above (just did a quick catalog of the items on my desktop). A free catalog reader is available so you can exchange a catalog you created with anyone else (who will only need to install the Reader).
It is available for Mac OS and Windows. Catalogs produced on either systems can be read/worked on on either system.
I have been using MediaPro since 2002 (13 years!).

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Imaging-Software/Media-Pro.aspx?
Thanks for sharing ....very good feedback. I run already Capture One Pro and believe this is a logical next step ..

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Thank you all for the reaction so far.
I have just cancelled my PhaseOne subscription and am very grateful for all of their help over the last few months. No matter how hard I tried I just could not get my head round C1's UI and spent hours on each and every basic function. So with that behind me the search for a DAM seems to be the next goal. I won't comment on C1; it would seem inappropriate given the efforts of their 'techies' to drag me along their path. Suffice to say I could not make it work. End Of.

Without a DAM I am left with CS5 + plus a workaround of sorts and El Kapitan or starting all over again elsewhere.

My original enquiry was aimed at a photographic DAM rather than a general one and I mentioned file types because of the problems that occurred during C1 usage with some file types (completed edits in other software) caused a multitude of glitches.

Using LightRoom is a NoNo, even just as a DAM (long story) but no.

Does Media1 Pro work the sam as C1's library/catalogue? If so then that is a NoNo also, although you do say it can handle all file types?

Having to go through the last few months again is not going to happen so if I have to stay with Yosemite and CS5 I will. BUT DAMMIT why should I. There must be a solution for "me" out there.

Comments, suggestions Please.

Sharkey

USAntigoon

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
Rochester Hills, MI
@Reality4711
I understand the frustration with C1, I went thru the same learning curve and the "no pain no gain" expression was quite applicable.. I now like C1 a lot. I am also looking into a good DAM and as mentioned by "noirflou" I explored the MediaPro 1 a bit more and like to share a link with some nice details about their features..
I understand it's not an easy decision but I might grow towards acquiring Media Pro as well...
Good luck...

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
If you gave us some info about your needs we might be able to help. Rejection of Lr and C1 isn't really enough to go on.

Photo Supreme has a demo. And I think AfterShot Pro does as well. I assume Bridge also doesn't meet your needs, but is there a specific reason why?

Reactions: TheGenerous

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
If you gave us some info about your needs we might be able to help. Rejection of Lr and C1 isn't really enough to go on.

Photo Supreme has a demo. And I think AfterShot Pro does as well. I assume Bridge also doesn't meet your needs, but is there a specific reason why?

OK.
Bridge will be usable if it works with ElKapitan-same same CS5
LR & C1 rejected because I don't get on with them (having tried both)
Aperture was good for me but wanted to move on when it reached EOL.

Referenced DAMs seem to have the edge in performance but I know very little of any outside those already mentioned.

I shoot D800 nikon 75mb raw files which with C1 gave magnificent image quality that CS5 pailed in comparison, hence trying C1 out but failing the learning curve.
Finances are now tight so I am not willing to lash out.
I can shoot 30-40GB at a time but not regularly with the average being 25GB..

Hope that is more helpful.

Regards

Sharkey

Last edited:

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
You might want to read this thread. http://www.bkwinephotography.com/technology/features-functions-digital-asset-management-system-dam/ It's long but it provides a good overview on the alternatives out there.

I started reading this thread about a year ago and it took me a year to get through it. My principal focus is photography. Lightroom simply works. However, ther are many alternatives you can spend time sifting through.

Do you need a library approach? If not, Photo Mechanic, done.
That site sort of cracked me up. If you aren't willing to compromise on your needs (and his really aren't that tough to fulfill in about 18 products) then fork over the money to have someone design a database for you. Done and done.

And heaven forfend you might have to grab another tool besides that giant swiss army knife.

And referenced DAMs are slower at some tasks than browsers. You have to factor in all that import time and prevew creation. The model for many of these programs, management with a database, isn't necessarily faster at finding stuff than a browser. I can find stuff by keyword as fast in Bridge as I can in Lr or Capture One. Today's systems are just better at that than in the old days. And PIE isn't as necessary, either. With storage so cheap you can export to your heart's content, so that's not necessarily a rationale for a PIE over a browser. And a workflow based on a browser (or Bridge) might work better with that old stuff in CS5. Maybe take a look at ImageIngester or Photo Mechanic.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Your files issues with C1: If they're the fact C1 could not read tif's and jpegs exported by other converters, it's a C1 issue. I use C1 along with other converters. For whatever reason, C1 can't read some jpegs and tif's exported from other apps. They open fine in any of a half dozen apps but C1 can't handle them. What's also weird is it can read some/most files from a single batch, then not be able to read 1 or 2 out of the same batch.

One of the reasons I decided against C1 for DAM.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
That site sort of cracked me up. If you aren't willing to compromise on your needs (and his really aren't that tough to fulfill in about 18 products) then fork over the money to have someone design a database for you. Done and done.

And heaven forfend you might have to grab another tool besides that giant swiss army knife.

And referenced DAMs are slower at some tasks than browsers. You have to factor in all that import time and prevew creation. The model for many of these programs, management with a database, isn't necessarily faster at finding stuff than a browser. I can find stuff by keyword as fast in Bridge as I can in Lr or Capture One. Today's systems are just better at that than in the old days. And PIE isn't as necessary, either. With storage so cheap you can export to your heart's content, so that's not necessarily a rationale for a PIE over a browser. And a workflow based on a browser (or Bridge) might work better with that old stuff in CS5. Maybe take a look at ImageIngester or Photo Mechanic.
Why would you even care about another person's approach? My comment was directed at the OP. It's his choice where he want to go with it.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Your files issues with C1: If they're the fact C1 could not read tif's and jpegs exported by other converters, it's a C1 issue. I use C1 along with other converters. For whatever reason, C1 can't read some jpegs and tif's exported from other apps. They open fine in any of a half dozen apps but C1 can't handle them. What's also weird is it can read some/most files from a single batch, then not be able to read 1 or 2 out of the same batch.

One of the reasons I decided against C1 for DAM.

Yup!
Just finished rebuilding my filing system having decimated it to split all RAW images off for C1 while using Bridge for the remainder (telling myself it was good idea because I like the C1 quality of images).
I'll use Bridge for a while till the El Kapitan/CS5 problem is clearer.

Regards

Sharkey

ps:- yes I know it is Capitan but `I like my way:D

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
So is there no DAM out there that is simple, referenced and yet sufficiently complex to handle all file types.
Is writing a DAM not financially attractive enough, am I just unaware of such a product.

Basically I suppose I would like such a product to exist - So thoughts please??

There are a couple threads about this on the Affinity Photo's forum. I would encourage you to go there and encourage them to get working on a DAM.

Reactions: JackRoch

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I would encourage you to go there and encourage them to get working on a DAM.

If you have tell/ask a photo editing company for a DAM, either they have excluded it from their scope....or they are clueless as a company. Companies like Nik, Topaz, and OnOne make very good editing tools without DAMs.

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
If you have tell/ask a photo editing company for a DAM, either they have excluded it from their scope....or they are clueless as a company. Companies like Nik, Topaz, and OnOne make very good editing tools without DAMs.

Serif is the end of Adobe ...

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
Or perhaps they are just focussing or what 80% of users want? Us 20%'ers will just have to wait. Their Photo product really is excellent and I'd imagine any DAM they do would be equally superb.

I think I'm going to jump on to the Lightroom train. It isn't the way I really wanted to go, but the only real competitor after months of trials is Capture One, and there are some things with that software that I unfortunately don't like.

I read an interesting article (can't remember where) that I thought was quite astute. It advised that whatever DAM you use, use tags and smart albums instead of just albums. Tags are baked within the image so are transferable if you should ever change DAMs. THey are also searchable via Spotlight. Seems like a plan.

Reactions: JackRoch
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.