Damaged 12" PB

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by hariya, Mar 4, 2003.

1. hariya macrumors newbie

Winter woes.

I was walking to school yesterday when I slipped and fell on my bookbag, which had my 12" PB. I landed on the Superdrive with a CD-ROM in it and now the CD-ROM is not mounted nor will it eject. Took it to the local apple store but they could not get it out. Apple says I will have to send it in and it will cost $600+ to fix the chassis and $300+ to replace the superdrive if required. Unfortunately, since it was an accident, it is not covered by Applecare.

I can bite the bullet and spend the money on fixing it but is my Applecare warranty still good? If my PB develops problems later, are they going to blame it on this fall and refuse to fix it for me ? Does anyone have any previous experience in this regard ?

Do I have any other options ? I really dont want to spend $1000 on a machine that is less than 5 weeks old and will not have any warranty later. I might as well get an ibook instead, in that case. Please advise me. Any help is appreciated.

2. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

The other day I was watching tv and the new was about a camera man that was shhoting at something on the stree (a celebrity) and the man was on the top of some staris at 3 feet from the ground with his camera on his sholder. The thing is that the man felt from the stairs and protected the camera with his body and hit the ground with his shoulder.

That! is what you should be thinking about when you have a portable computer with you.

It is not strange to pay so much for a repair, I just got an email this morning charging me $450 to fix a thing of a video console that I have, the problem is that that video console has a joystick and is made of a very cheap plastic adn of course is broken.

I have no info about your computer, in your case I would try to ask to some one else in another Mac store that can really get around that.

3. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

I am very sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident. Sadly these things happen, and very unfortunate to happen so soon. I would probably suggest calling AppleCare Service and Support, at 1 800 APL CARE and get exact answers to your questions from them.

Also, is it visibly damaged from abuse?

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

basically you have not lucked out. a case makes cheap insurance. keeping my ipod in my bag is what broke my ipod. buy an ibook and BUY a case. then buy a firewire cd-rw and make your powerbook into a desktop. thats what i would do in your situation.

iJon

5. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Well, if you're gonna buy a new ibook, you can always send your 12" pbook to me ;). I'll even pay for the shipping! :D

6. hariya thread starter macrumors newbie

I had a case :(

I slipped, fell on top of my laptop and managed to dent it through a case and I am not even that heavy. There is an obvious dent where the superdrive is, which I guess was the least densest area of the laptop. It also wobbles since the back right corner is now lower and the keyboard is bowed a bit.

The machine actually works fine, it keeps trying to mount the CD and that makes a lot of grinding noises. The first thing to do is to get that CD out.

I was planning to fix it, use it till I graduate (6-9 months) and then pass it on to my brother. My biggest concern is that Apple might deny further warranties on my laptop even after repairs. Does anyone have experience in that regard ? The first repair was not covered under warranty because it was an accident or something and further repairs were covered ?

If I dont hear anything negative about the warranty, I would rather fix this laptop than buy a new one.

7. iGav macrumors G3

What ever you decide, consider insurance next time.....

Even though the premiums may sound expensive, it's a hell of a lot cheaper should an accident occur than forking out $900 should something unfortunate happen again....

Do you have home insurance... maybe (if you're ultra lucky) you may have cover for single items taken outside the house..... it's worth a try.....

IMHO any laptop should have insurance cover just to be safe, whether it gets damaged accidentally or worse if you're mugged for example!!

G

8. iGav macrumors G3

Re: I had a case :(

If you get Apple to repair it, it WON'T affect the warranty later on.... Simple as that...

If something was to occur later on, then Apple obviously didn't do a proper repair..... They'll fix the damage, and gladly take your money. Your warranty won't be affected in any way!!

Good luck though... I hope you manage to get it all sorted.....

For the record though, I agree I think you're best off getting it repaired rather than buying an iBook!!

G

9. sageenos macrumors member

Powerbook 15"

I just dropped my PB for the first time yesterday...it fell a couple feet and landed on the monitor hinges. Thankfully the fall didn't mess up the LCD, but the front edge popped open. I was able to quickly snap it back in place, but the front of the case got bent up a little. I almost envy everyone at my school with their big plastic IBM laptops that probably won't get bent up, but my powerbook is still worlds nicer than any other laptop on the market...well...except for the PB 17" I suppose.

I've learned from all this that a laptop should be treated with alot of care.

Good luck with getting your laptop problems worked out.

10. hariya thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the support. I had totally forgotten that I had taken out extra insurance on my homeowner's policy to cover my computers. I filed a claim and I should know in a few days about that. I guess the fall muddied up my brain more than the usual.

11. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

That is fantastic! You had me really saddened there before... I broke my newton's screen when it wasn't very old, that was very depressing for me. I have an ibook now, and it is wonderful, i have dropped it a few times off of the coffee table it sits on, and it can take abuse pretty well.

12. F/reW/re macrumors 6502

F/reW/re

My travel insurance would cover all the damages for me, but I live in Norway..

13. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Hrm...

I don't know what it's like for you guys in America, but here in the UK when we break something big, expensive or electrical (or all of the above in the case of an Apple) we claim it off our household insurance.

As long as you don't tell them how the damage really occured you can usually get replacement value or at least a big chunk of the repair costs back.

Three elements are required for a succesful claim. First you need to sound worried when youcall to make the claim. Secondly, ensure the story you *ahem* concoct involves a three year-old child (we all know how destructive they can be) and finally, remember the accident really did happen in the home!

I'm not suggesting that you would ever consider doing such a thing, but merely pointing out that naughty people in the UK do this kind of thing every day. Or so I'm told.

Chris, the honest.

14. Tommy! macrumors regular

Re: Powerbook 15"

No need for envy! If anyone drops their "Big IBM laptops" they wont bend up, they will crack up... Now who should be envious?

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'm glad it looks like you'll be able to get it fixed. I think you had us all depressed there for a while. ;)

mymemory I started laughing when I read that 'cause I've done the exact same thing more than once. I shoot/edit for a living and I protect my gear like it's a new born child in my arms. I remember one time I was shooting cars driving on an ice rink (bridgestone was showing off it's new snow/ice tires) and I slipped (imagine that) and just let myself fall flat on my ass 'cause I coulda damaged the camera (35lb Sony Beta cam) if I tried to catch myself. It looked funny as hell when I watched the tape later on. :D If I get hurt I still might be able to gimp along w/my camera, or find someone else to shoot for me. If my camera gets busted I'm sh(t outta luck...

Lethal

16. MaxArturo macrumors member

A Friend

A friend did that with his PBook and got all the money back 'cause he bought with Visa insurance.

17. hariya thread starter macrumors newbie

Final Update

I took the machine to the Apple Store at Southdale. The guys there were great. They could feel my pain. They quoted me for fixing the machine, it was the worst-case scenario I expected. Pretty much everything - the chasis, board, optical drive and LCD would have to be replaced.

The insurance is picking up the tab so I sent it in for repairs. Cant wait to get it back.

Thanks for the support, sympathy and knocking me back on to the right path (re: insurance).

18. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

that is awesome man. good job for keeping your cool and exploring your options. heres to a speedy return of your notebook, and a speedy delivery of my eMac :)