Damaged G5 Case

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by esotu, Nov 1, 2004.

1. esotu macrumors member

May 31, 2004
    I got a G5 1.6GHz from eBay and it was damaged in shipping. The top handle is dented in on the right side, making it difficult to open the case and viusally unappealing. Is there any way to fix this?
  2. 5300cs macrumors 68000

Nov 24, 2002
    Have you tried contacting the seller? How about the shipping company?
  3. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Apr 16, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I assume you got shipping insurance on such an expensive item. You should look into making a claim with the shipping company for the replacement cost of the case.
  4. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I also hope you had shipping insurance - anything which could dent a handle on the PowerMacs had to be a pretty major jostle and might have caused other problems.
  5. esotu thread starter macrumors member

May 31, 2004
    I requested insurance, but the seller didn't get it. He hasn't replied to any of my e-mails...it's been about 2 weeks now. That's why I need to know if there is a way to fix it manually, because I'm not going to get any help from the shipping company/seller.
  6. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I know it sounds stupid, but an auto-body repair shop might be able to fix it pretty quickly and easily (if you know of one with a decent rep nearby) - but I'd remove everything you can easily remove first.
  7. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    Aluminum is pretty hard to work with, but a body shop is probably your best bet. Or, you can try a block of wood and a hammer, if you're brave. But like jsw said, take everything you can out of it (right down to the motherboard, if you can manage) before anybody starts pounding on there--bad business banging electronics around. The hard drive would be almost guaranteed to break, and who knows what else might pop loose or crack under the strain (those G5 heatsinks are HEAVY after all).

Sounds suspiciously like the seller had already damaged it and prefered to try and make it look like the shipping company did it than sell it as-is. It'd certainly explain why he/she wouldn't want to insure it.
  8. esotu thread starter macrumors member

May 31, 2004
    Is there anything I can do about this problem besides leaving negative feedback for the seller? Not only did the case get damaged, but I was cheated out of 256MB of RAM. I think I'm just screwed though - he's not responding...so I guess I can't do anything.
  9. Muskie macrumors 6502

Dec 1, 2003
    if its been more than a day or two since you first contacted him about the dent, i would leave him bad feedback and a terrible message. especially for jipping you on the RAM. good luck
  10. MacBandit macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2002
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    I wouldn't jump straight to leaving bad feedback. I would contact eBay and give the guy some time first to reply. I once shipped an item then was gone over the weekend. The guy I shipped to left me bad feedback because I didn't get back to him in 24hours even though I corrected his problem which was a technical issue with his computer not the product I sold him. No I have bad feedback and there is no way to correct for it. Feedback is the last thing you do. You use it as a threat if need be.
  11. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2004
    London, UK
    Yes, the body shop idea is a good one. Not all body shops work with aluminum, however. Look for a shop that deals in higher end cars - Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, etc. as those are the ones that have aluminum bodies.
  12. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Feb 10, 2003
    Buckeye Country, O-H
    Did you purchase through PayPal? If so contact them, they used to refund the purchasers money when something like this happened. But, to make sure i would contact them.

Someone did this to me a while ago, i wanted the original 17" FD Studio Display (ADC), but i ended up getting screwed out of $300. I filed a complaint with ebay. I also was a big dumba** when i paid with a money order (will never do that again). Turned out, that at the time i got scammed PayPal covered all lost purchases. They would refund the amount lost by a bidder, when the seller wouldn't fulfill the agreement. But now i think they have a limit.

Good Luck
  13. kbonnel macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2004
    In a nice place..
    Did you pay via credit card? If so, then you have another avenue to go down. If paypal doesn't work for you (as they really can't do anything other than contact the seller, give them 10 - 14 days to respond, and then attempt to pull funds out of there paypal account) then you can call your CC company and contest the charge. (since you didn't get what you paid for)

14. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Requested or paid for??? Curious if you have a link to the auction you bought from?

Review the product description and shipping policy. If insurance wasn't stated and you didn't negotiate it afterward (ie pay additional monies), you are SOL.

HOWEVER, since the item was mis-represented as having more RAM than it has, you can file a greivance with eBay, but don't expect your money (or partial refund) any time soon. eBay loves to drag these things out.

Was this seller highly rated?
  15. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I think that I would contact Apple prior to taking a step like that. They might be able to intercede with the shipping company.