Damaged Illustrator Files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aricher, Mar 8, 2006.

1. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

3 workstations in my office all using Illustrator CS2 have started having unreadable file errors. Not every file - pretty random in fact. The error message when you try to open a saved file (.ai or .eps) says "The file is damaged and could not be repaired." I can open PDFs of the same file within Illustrator but not the .ai or .eps files. I have tried doing Adobe's workaround of "placing" the original file into a new file to no avail.

We recently installed Extensis Suitcase Fusion and are beginning to think that might be the culprit. The thing with that though is that some of the damaged files have outlined text and some do not.

Does anyone know why this might be happening?

2. jkballer23 macrumors member

maybe try repairing permissions, restart, and try to open the files. This might work.

3. aricher thread starter macrumors 68020

aricher

I've tried repairing permissions, zapping pram and reinstalling both Illustrator and Suitcase. Nothing. I have Extensis tech support looking into it. Ugh.

4. aricher thread starter macrumors 68020

aricher

Got an update in the Adobe forums on this. Apparently there is a bug in the Suitcase Fusion auto activation file in the Illustrator plug-ins folder. The solution (until Extensis fixes it) i to remove the plug-in. This will allow files to save correctly. Pain in the rear as now you have to manually activate fots used by each document. Funny how the tech support guy at Extensis lied to me and said "we've never heard of this happening. A quick Google search comes across tons of people experiencing the same problems.

5. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

I dislike Suitcase. It's the culprit a lot of the times. Even when your kid comes home sick, I blame Suitcase.

Anyway, why have Suitcase when Font Book works like a charm? You can turn off fonts and organize. I was able to get my firm off Suitcase.

6. Raven79 macrumors newbie

The File is damaged and could not be repaired

Hello,
    I'm having the same exact problem described here, but we aren't using suitcase; we're using Font reserve. I have a font reserve plug-in that we use to auto-activate fonts when opening files in illustrator. I've been using it for a few years now, and I never had this problem until I received the new iMac. Has anyone had this problem with Font reserve? I'm trying to isolate the problem, but it's rather difficult as my file corruption seems to be somewhat random. I can't really find a rhyme or reason to it. It is only happening with illustrator files. I've been to the Adobe forum, but haven't found much.

Thanks in advance for your help!

7. den39 macrumors newbie