Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmukj

macrumors member
Original poster
Hello,

I have a damaged (cracked screen) iPhone 4 that I bought the replacement screen for, but broke a cable during the attempted replacement process. It still holds some value in parts (or completely working with a new cable) and as I am set to sell off some Apple equipment I would like to see what I can get for it.

Here is my dilemma. With the damaged cable, the phone will no longer turn on. This means I cannot wipe the phone clean. I went into iCloud and it is set to wipe clean upon Internet connect, but is that too risky if someone does decide to get it working again?

I confess to not having spent adequate time researching this issue more throughly due to time constraints, that is why I have turned to the numerous experts here. What should I do with this phone? I have the new screen, but should I just chuck the phone out?

I apologize if this question exists elsewhere, but again time constraints. Thank you all in advance.

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
Right, Apple won't do anything to recover data. You should get a replacement and then sell that. Won't be a huge profit though.

wmukj

macrumors member
Original poster
Thank you all so far for the advice. It was out of warranty when it was damaged and my wife was eligible for upgrade so we just did that. I have had many an Apple product apart from iMacs to Time Capsules, so I read up and gave it a try.

I couldn't help tinkering with it, as I was surprised it still functioned as normal aside from the screen (it was run over by her car - don't ask) being broke (glass only). I found a new screen dirt cheap and figured at the very least I could sell it for a few bucks at the time.

Well in the disassembly process I broke a cable that apparently gets a few (wish I had read that prior to attempting it :)). Anyway, I am off topic.

I have no desire to have Apple do anything to it, I would just like to know if maybe there is some way to wipe it clean without power, but that doesn't seem likely. I may have to put some effort into it. :D

----------

I should have stated that I have no interest in recovering the date, merely wiping it out.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Thank you all so far for the advice. It was out of warranty when it was damaged and my wife was eligible for upgrade so we just did that. I have had many an Apple product apart from iMacs to Time Capsules, so I read up and gave it a try.

I couldn't help tinkering with it, as I was surprised it still functioned as normal aside from the screen (it was run over by her car - don't ask) being broke (glass only). I found a new screen dirt cheap and figured at the very least I could sell it for a few bucks at the time.

Well in the disassembly process I broke a cable that apparently gets a few (wish I had read that prior to attempting it :)). Anyway, I am off topic.

I have no desire to have Apple do anything to it, I would just like to know if maybe there is some way to wipe it clean without power, but that doesn't seem likely. I may have to put some effort into it. :D

----------

I should have stated that I have no interest in recovering the date, merely wiping it out.

Shot in the dark but have you tried connecting it to iTunes via a USB cable? You never know, you might be able to access/restore it. Cost nothing but a few seconds to try.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
I'll buy it :D depending on asking price anyway
But seriously yeah you could totally sell it, especially if it was unlocked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.