Damaging computer by running folding@home?

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by latergator116, May 12, 2004.

1. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Ever since I started folding@home on my iBook, I leave my computer running all day while I am at school. Now that the weather is getting hotter (around 80 degrees and humid) I have noticed the fan running constantly. when I return home and go on it, the computer is very laggy and slow in general. I know that the computer has a fan, but could I be damaging the computer in any way by letting the fan run constantly in the heat? Thanks.

BTW, I wasn't sure which forums this would be most appropriate for, but Im sure someone running folding@home has encountered this problem before.

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

As many people have said in threads throughout this forum, laptops are not ideal machines for any sort of distributed computing for the exact heat issues you describe. If your machine is not cooled adequately, yes, it can be damaged - just as it would be when running games or any other task that uses a lot of CPU.

3. latergator116 thread starter macrumors 68000

latergator116

Ok. Thanks for the quick reply. I guess now I will have to invest in one of those USB fans or just leave my room fan on. :)

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Those iCurve stands look to be a solution too.

5. iBook macrumors regular

Anyone know if this will work? I've got 3 computers folding right now, including my iBook.

Want to keep my iBook going 24-7, but I've noticed it getting a bit hot of late. My solution has been to give it a day off here and there, but I don't know if 24 hours of R&R is enough.

6. Mustang Mac macrumors regular

I'd also recommend a CoolPad from RoadTools. They work great to allow airflow underneath your iBook or PowerBook. I've used them for several years now running my G3 iBook 500MHz and PowerBook G4 1.0GHz 24/7 with SETI and now F@h. No heat problems of note to date. Fold on!

http://www.roadtools.com

7. iBook macrumors regular

Thanks for the link. Which do you recommend? The "Podium" or the "Traveler"?

8. Mustang Mac macrumors regular

I use the 'Traveler' version. Have not tried the 'Podium' version. Foldin' away again in Margaritaville!

9. latergator116 thread starter macrumors 68000

latergator116

Thanks for the link! The podiumm coolpad looks like the best solution to my heat problems. Also, it is comepletely energy efficient. :)

10. Nanuq macrumors newbie

I use this for my Dell laptop. Might be just right for an iBook. Just thought I'd put my 2¢ in...

11. Versello macrumors regular

I use that for my 12" PB. Nice little product.

12. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Searching for my lost shaker of salt...

No matter what you use I think that getting the laptops off the desk and allowing air to circulate underneath would be very helpful to keep them cool.

13. Nanuq macrumors newbie

Agreed! Just thought I'd offer an alternative. It's always good to have a choice.

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That what I do with my wife's ibook. It's on a podium! :)

15. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

couldn't you just put the thing in the fridge with the powerconnector coming out of it?!!? :D

16. Nanuq macrumors newbie

Haha! Yeah! put a entire cluster in there! Gut out the fridge and free hang the boards on a custom built rack! ;-)

Sounds like a plan!!

17. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

actually, if you had a fridge dedicated to the cause, i bet you could put the computer in there and it would be ok. you would just have to turn the temp of the fridge to its warmest setting. i think they can be turned warm enough that it would not cause any operational problems.

not that you would do this, of course.

18. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I didn't know the newer iBooks had fans. I have a 600mhz G3 iBook and I have never heard a fan. I use the iBook mostly for email, internet, DVDs, and iPhoto when I am out of the house. Fan never came on even when encoding a quicktime movie or running Virtual PC. Great executive laptop but not a gaming laptop.

This iBook doesn't get that hot.

19. latergator116 thread starter macrumors 68000

latergator116

I believe all of the snow/white iBooks have fans, except some of them rarely come on. On my old 500mhz iBook, I never heard the fan go on once, but when I took it apart (after it died), I saw that it had a fan. I think that the fan comes on in extreme situations, or if your computer has a higher clock speed (like my 700 mhz ibook).

Actually, I once put it in the freezer for a few minutes because I though it was overheating and I needed to cool it down quickly. Brings a whole new meaning to IceBook.. ;)

20. cjc343 macrumors 6502

If you think F@H is leaving your laptop, or other computer, running hotter than it should, delete your F@H configuration file... when you start F@H up again, set the advanced options... when it askes you how much processor power it should request, turn it down.... this will keep it from running the processor 100% 24/7 and thereby keep your PB or iBook cooler....

21. chv400 macrumors 6502

Running several days can fill up the RAM so a restart every now and then should help things out. Also give it a break to cool off like a few hours here and there just to make sure.

22. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Well, with a fridge you have one problem: humidity. There is too much moist. A winecoolerfridge would be ideal!

23. abc123 macrumors 6502

my powerbook's temp raised from 40 - 65 degrees celsius after only a few minutes, and it was still going up when i decided to switch it off :(
    i don't think i'll be joining the folding team after all.

24. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

When you get a laptop stand, make sure the laptop lies on it straightly. Most stands elevate your laptop in a curved way. This makes it easier to type, but is hard on the hard disk.

25. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's nice that you tried. :)

That was probably using a lot of AltiVec code. It's amazing how few applications are AltiVec-enhanced so machines run cool and are battery-efficient. Now that all currently-sold machines have a vector unit, we should see many more applications, especially games, using AltiVec and your machine will be running hotter constantly.