Damn Bloody AirPort Likes To Stop Working

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ColoJohnBoy, Jun 16, 2004.

1. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

Mar 10, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    I have a snow AirPort base station connected to a Comcast 3Mbps connection. Every once in awhile (As in every 8-10 hours) the base station decides to stop working. As in no signal is shown on the menu bar icon, and when I try to manually join the network, a dialogue box pops up saying "There was an error joining the AirPort network 'Bernard'". When I check the station, the status lights all show it functioning properly. Only by resetting it using the paper clip method and disconnecting the power does it start working again.

I thought it might be a problem with my PowerBook, but it also happens to my roommate on her iBook. I have no idea. This sucks.
  2. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2003
    You can keep going until you wear out that paper clip or you can dig around in the couch and find $89 and go down to Best Buy or some place and get yourself a LinkSys or some other router and sell that Airport to a collector.

Nothing seems to cure it. Reset my AEBS until I was doing it almost daily and finally ditched it. Both my iBook and my PB work fine on other networks in my building, but neither one could get a consistent signal with the AEBS.

3. Fukui macrumors 68000

Jul 19, 2002
    You might try re-uploading the airport software and completely reseting you basestation. It fixed those same problems I was having.
  4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    make sure your Airport software is totally up to day because i used to suffer the same problem, but within the last two updates it has never happened again
  5. BaDBoY macrumors member

Aug 22, 2003
    you know if you guys didnt realize this, it happens. one BIG reason.

Ask yourself this question: Do you have a new microwave/2.4 GHz phone at home?

If yes, thats the problem. you cant connect because the interference when using a 2.4 ghz phone or using the micro wave. if the 2.4 phone is off, it wont interfere, same goes for the microwave. The airport extreme, just like ALL other wireless stations use 2.4ghz signals. the reason why it works after you reset is because the base station finds the channels that haev less interference and uses those channels, enabling you to connect. but if you pu the 2.4 ghz phone back onto the charging base, it usually changes channels again, giving the possiblity of the phone to interfere with the connection again.

The only work around is to change the channels on the phone, or to buy a 5.8 ghz phone or 900 mhz.

Say that yoru airport station doesnt work while other networks work? well, think about it. only a few wireless networks can work together, as long as there is available channels to be used. if a channel is being used up, youll get interference from the other networks as well.

Did you ask the other people if they have problems with connectiong wirelessly? I bet they had some problem too. Saying you have a room mate, i think you live in a dorm or an apartment, so theres definately a chance there are other networks and 2.4ghz phones as well as microwaves that can interfere no matter how hard you try to avoid the situation.

I dunno.. is this my 3rd time going over this?