Damn iPod dries

Discussion in 'iPod' started by jamesmcd, Sep 26, 2006.

1. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Has anyone had any luck with their iPod drives, when they meet there horrible, clicking, death?

I have had one personally that has died after 1 year, my brother's died, and now a friend gave me one that just died on him. A new hard drive for these things is usually $100+ (which is ridiculous).

Has anyone actually found out a way to repair the drives? I would like to know exactly what went wrong also. I'm stumped at the moment :confused:

2. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

If it's making any sort of "horrible clicking," it's an actual physical problem and there's really nothing you can do aside from a new hard drive. If there's no noise coming from your iPod, but it won't play anything, that could be damage that could be fixed by restoring the iPod or running Disk Utility on it.

Daniel.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Repairing them with Disk Utility can sometimes delay the inevitable for a small amount of time. :)

4. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Haha, yeah my buddy's 4G was having problems. Apple Store employees told him it was gone. I plugged it right into Disc Utility and it fixed right up...

...for a week. :)

Daniel.

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I really hate how long my iPod takes to dry when I drop it in the pool.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't think there is really anything you can do except pick up a working iPod on eBay or something...

7. KilGil27 macrumors regular

KilGil27

I had one doing that, and making the sad face, about a year ago. I spent the entire day trying to fix it, and got so pissed off and decided I had to buy a new one so I threw it at the floor... and it's worked ever since

8. islandman macrumors 6502

I "fixed" my 3G like this many times, but it finally gave up recently, so I got a 5G.