Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta (okay, a geek)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mkrishnan, Nov 12, 2006.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I've had my iPod 3G / 15GB (gen before the clickwheel) for about 2.5 years now. Still love it. :) It's worked very consistently, and I've never really had to reformat it or anything like that. Today I messed up ejecting it and got the infamous "incorrect device removal" window. :( And my iPod was frozen at the Apple logo. No activity, but the HD was continuously spinning. The softer reset (hold menu/play) worked but it returned immediately to the same state. The harder reset (power brick, hold center/menu) did not work. It did not identify under iTunes or Disk Utility.

But I, my friends, am no ordinary geek. :D

I quickly googled and found some ideas. The FW iPods can be mounted in disk mode (reset using the menu/play and then immediately press and hold previous/next until disk mode initiates). Now Disk Utility could see it, and confirmed that I did indeed have a logical format issue on the iPod HD, but refused to repair the problem.

Oddly iTunes could now see it also, even though it was not mounted as an iPod. So I restored the software to it. And then unplugged and replugged it and in fifteen minutes, I've got all my music and my playlists back.

Because that's how we do around here. We don't wander around with out virus laden windows computers and our broken flash drives. We don't have to ask how to set up a router. Entering all our contacts into our new phone every time we upgrade is demeaning and beneath us. We don't throw out or closet our hardware every time we can't figure it out. And we don't have to go crying to an 800 number every time we can't figure a problem out.

Damn, it feels good to be a geek. :)

In honor of this moment I am finally buying the pair of Geto Boys songs that have been sitting in my shopping cart for a year. You know which songs I'm talking about. :D

P.S. Besides celebrating being a geek, I'll throw this thread out there in case this happens to anyone else. Because that, my friends, once again, is how we do. :)

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Yeah I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with Brother and Apple each this week. I ended up fixing the (printer driver install) problem myself.

I'm def geek material, even though I went the phone route first.

3. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I do stop and ask for directions sometimes. ;) And I definitely read manuals and google and read knowledgebase notes and so on. But I've found that with tech support, the number of instances where there's a usable solution that they can identify that I cannot find on my own (including through web searching) is very low... :( I want to get their help but it just usually doesn't end up being helpful.

I definitely am always willing to ask people for help, though. :)

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Meh...I would have taken it out in a field and smashed it with a baseball bat.

Maybe punched it a few times.

5. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

And I would roll up my windows when I see you walking by my car in rush hour traffic!

The Device Incorrectly Removed thing is bad, but it's nowhere near as bad as a PC Load Letter! :D

6. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Google searches often bring up a thread or two of a particular situation. In my case, I found in a thread that an HP driver worked with a Brother printer. I tried it and it works!

7. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    haha, you need more pieces of flair, or is it just my mind playing tricks on me...

ok, enough...i had to reset my 1st gen iPod a few times, but i did that by taking it apart and disconnecting the battery, worked like a charm.

if something doesn't work, i usually take it apart, and i fix it...now i get paid to do it! (sometimes) :)

8. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Ok, but thats the last straw... :D

God I love that movie :)