DAMN IT! I Got ripped off!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Rezet, Nov 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

If I waited 2 months, I could get DUAL 1.8 for the same money I got this single 1.8 g5.
    Ohh man, that just screwed my weekend.
    I feel ripped off now... Geez, maybe i can sell this 1.8 to get dual???

2. leet1 macrumors 6502

Re: DAMN IT! I Got ripped off!

Welcome to the computer world ;)

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You still have a very fast machine and you're the envy of many people.

Is that a bad thing? ;)

4. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

Dude....you have a friggin G5.

I shed a single tear for you.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

5. Rezet thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Yeah But CMON! 2 months later!? I was hoping on getting something new and so that it would last. I feel that anyone who bought 1.8 now was ripped off. Apple knew ahead they will release dual soon after yet went ahead with single version knowing it will sell out well anyways...

THIS IS BULL!

6. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

It sucks, but you were certainly not ripped off. It's not like Apple sat there and said hmm...I wonder how we can make people pissed off about buying a single 1.8 instead of the dual 2...

Dissapointed I can understand, but don't say you were ripped off, because you really weren't. ****, Apple's return policy is about 10 days, you've had it for about 50 days longer than that.

(Not counting pro card holders because APP is required to get that)

7. Rezet thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Yeah they knew people will get pissed. I bet even in his june presentation he stevie knew about duals coming by xmas. he knew that 1.8 model will sell out the most. and introducing dual when most people cant return machinies will bring even more customers and who cares about those who got screwed. I mean cmon, 1.6 with student discount and w/o dvd-rw costs 1500!

Excuse me, I'm a bit upset... gonna go kick a cat

8. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Re: Re: DAMN IT! I Got ripped off!

Welcome indeed, I payed $128AUD for 512MB of DDR333, the next week it was $70, and now it's @ $98.

You just never know what's going to happen

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I doubt anyone can prove that Apple knew exactly when they'd be able to ship dual 1.8s or that they purposefully delayed shipments on the single 1.8s.

Be happy that Apple is releasing new models at a pace faster than the lethargic schedule Motorola kept them on.

10. kanker macrumors 6502

So your G5 is broken? That sucks.:rolleyes:

11. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I don't think there has been any computers or computer related things that have been able to "last" as long as a consumer would hope. You can only have "the next best thing" for a certain amount of time. And hey! I still have a G4, so I wouldn't be complaining too much.

12. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

I guess to not piss people off, they should just never introduce a new model, huh? Then you'll always have the fastest mac!

Manufacturers want to make sure you're happy with your purchase, but not at the expense of withholding technological improvements.

At no time did Apple ever even imply that it was "safe to buy" because they weren't going to update the G5 in a while. You were NOT ripped off. You purchased a computer, you were happy with it. Nothing should change just because a new model came out. This happens frequently. No one has the best computer forever.

13. panphage macrumors 6502

Jeez, man, on The Dark Side, you'd be lucky to have the fastest processor available for longer than two weeks. There's always something new, that's how the computer world is *supposed* to work. We should be happy that Macs are moving so fast with improvements these days. I remember when a 500Mhz G4 was as fast as it got for over a year. Meanwhile, the pentiums and athlons went well over a Gig in the same time frame. We as mac users have to get reacquainted with Moore's Law. We're spoiled now because we're used to 6+ months for a 10% speed boost. That is the past. Now we're just like any computer user, our tech is going to stop being the newest and fastest in a matter of 6-10 weeks. This is a good thing.

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It's really hard to properly express my feelings on this getting screwed subject, when there were rumors of a DP G5 1.8 coming out soon after the PowerMac G5 release.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And there's still a chance the speed bumps could come out on schedule, with this change coming just in time for the Christmas buying season.

15. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Well, you could expect this!

When the G5's where introduced and the pre-orders of the dual 2.0 where above expectation there where already rumors about dual 1.8. So it took Apple about 3-4 months to get it ready for the big public. They probably already had prototypes of the thing when the G5 was introduced, but at first had no plan of getting it out. Now that Apple hardly can keep up with supply of dual 2.0, they introduce dual 1.8. Also to get rid of a lot of 1.8 IBM is cooking up at fishkill before the new and higher speed G5's!

I wanted to go for a single 1.8 G5, but after I heard the rumor of dual 1.8's I waited a while! And now I'm still waiting because I find the price is to high. Which will come down when the higher speed G5's are introduced in a couple of months. Then I will be getting a dual 2.0 or 1.8.

16. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

that's why I always *try* to buy the top of the range even if it pushes the budget, because it'll stay the top *that* much longer..

17. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

Yeah man, you'd think Apple would have upgraded everybody's 1.8 GHZ orders to 2 GHz from the beginning. I mean, they knew they'd be upgrading processors one of these days. And they knew

And if they come out with a 2.1 GHz in the next few years I'm gonna be REALLY PISSED!

18. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

Im pissed too.

I spent a lot of money on my Dual 1G MDD.

Then they release the G5? No way - I am going to soooo whinge. I have had only 1 year of good use from it. We get 10 yrs from our fridge - why not our macs - cheap a$$ apple.

They suck!

Please note that the entire post was sarcasm.

You people have paid about $100 less than I did and gotten a much much better machine that has a very long life in it. Now shut up and do some FCP rendering for me.

19. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

i feel for you too but this is apple, after stagnating with motorola for so long they now have options and are moving forward. I think this next year there will be a lot of people feeling like this as they introduce faster and better machines. if you think the dual makes you feel bad wait until they introduce a consumer line with the G5. anyways there is allways a better machine on the drawing board and by the time a machine is ready to be produce its obsolete by whats coming.

20. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I bought a G4 knowing the G5 is coming out, but i needed it for college so in the end i purchased the 15". I got 20% off the price but while it is still costly i know the next ones might be cheaper for having the G5.

But its a guessing game which you can hardly win, i bought now i have...i shouldn't have to regret knowing something new is coming out.

21. airmac macrumors regular

Well i will try and put things into perspective. If he could add a second processor 'later' than things wouldn't look so black & white wouldn't they...

My point? I would be angry too.

22. stylum macrumors member

Reimbursment

You can go to the apple store where you bought your machine and ask for a partial reimbursment, they will give you back about $300.00
    but only within the next 30 days after the purchase.
    I asked wednesday at la jolla UTC store.

good luck

23. visor macrumors 6502

Re: DAMN IT! I Got ripped off!

Hm, used Computer, not even a line model anymore... I'd offer you $1000.

24. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

Yeah eh, and now that is is "so out of date" and he is 'so ripped off" he should really sell it for cheap, so he could buy a new one,,

hey i will offer 1001

aethier

25. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

apple's got your money already. people without a mac but with money to now buy a dual 1.8 are probably very happy - "oh, for almost the same price, i can now get two processors!"

guess who apple cares about?

above was meant to be sarcastic. computers get faster and cheaper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.