Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oid

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
UK
I'm being plagued by both Mail and Safari asking for the password to unlock my keychain... please help.

I've tried everything, repairing permissions, etc, nothing seems to help. Its also fairly random, e.g. I can open Mail and check my mail fine, quit it, fire up Safari and use it fine, quit it, and then fire up Mail again upon which it complains about needing a password. Safari does it regularly also...

Yet my wife, who also has an account on my machine, claims to have never seen the password request window.

Not sure if this was a good idea, but I even when into the keychain util and deleted everything and started again..

Damn annoying I can tell you.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
update to 10.2.6 if you havent yet and repair your permissions, see if that helps any.

iJon

Oid

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
UK
I did a permissions repair after installling 10.2.5 but that didn't help, but I must admit I haven't done one after installing 10.2.6.

I'll give it a shot, but I'm not hopeful.

Oid

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
UK
Well I tried it and it didn't work, seems I'm doomed to constantly enter my password over and over again...

Rufus

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2003
Wichita, KS
I've had problems as well, thanks for the first aid link. I ran it and it found lots of problems to fix. Will see if this helps.

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
I have this problem in a limited way, but I never thought of it as a "problem."

I get the pop-up message every week, every month--it varies--and I thought it was a safeguard against another user going into your system to screw things up.

.a

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2001
i had it, too... and until some weeks i now have to enter my password once... i also thought it is usual... probably i can get rid of it with the aid-stuff...
oid, please tell us if it worked.
.a

coumerelli

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2003
state of confusion.
I had this same problem some months ago too. Although I had no problem (as the admin), my wife was continually having to say YES!!! ALWAYS ALLOW!!!!

I think that I just went into the 'keychain access' (in the utilities folder) and unlocked it. Also, try selecting a 'key' and make sure that under the 'access control' tab the 'always allow access to this item' is checked.

Like I said, it was some months ago, so I can't be sure that this will fix it.

Best to ya.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
hhhmmmm...

My friend has a similar problem, he has a PowerBook 12 inch and sometimes, not always, when he clicks his AirPort Menu bar to select his 128-bit encryipted Wireless Access Point it asks him to type in his 128-bit encyiption password which is really long! I switched him to a mac and this bugs him a lot, he went to the KeyChain app and it doesn't show the Wireless Access point's encryiption password saved, so he created it and still it asks him once in a while. My teacher has a problem with Safari asking her to type in her user password once and a while, whats up with that? PLease help, Thanks :D

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: hhhmmmm...

Originally posted by LimeiBook86
My friend has a similar problem, he has a PowerBook 12 inch and sometimes, not always, when he clicks his AirPort Menu bar to select his 128-bit encryipted Wireless Access Point it asks him to type in his 128-bit encyiption password which is really long! I switched him to a mac and this bugs him a lot, he went to the KeyChain app and it doesn't show the Wireless Access point's encryiption password saved, so he created it and still it asks him once in a while. My teacher has a problem with Safari asking her to type in her user password once and a while, whats up with that? PLease help, Thanks :D

Have they tried the KeyChain repair utility that I gave the link to above?

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
Happens to me too quite a lot but i just click cancel (my password is really long) and it seems to work fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.