Damn Torrents

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Smileyguy, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Smileyguy macrumors 6502

(First off I"m sorry if this is in the wrong place, I've never posted a thread related to torrents befrore and this seemed the most suitable forum)

Now, I'm new to the "world" of torrents, and have only just been downloading torrent applications and messing around with them. But I seem to be getting nowhere. I've downloaded two programs - TomatoTorrent and Bits on Wheels - and have still be encountering the same problem. When I open a torrent in the Tomato program, I get a dialogue box up that reads 'Getting torrent info'. In 'Bits on Wheels' it is 'connecting to host' and this just goes on and on until it eventually times out. I think I downloaded another program too which wouldn't even open when I double-clicked the torrent file.

I did get one torrent to start downloading on my computer, so I know they can work, it's just so far the ratio of ones to work to those that don't is about 9:1, or worse.

I'd really appreciate some help in this matter as it's starting to drive me slightly crazy!

Thanks,

Smileyguy.

2. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Are you behind a firewall or router? You'll need to configure those to open or redirect port 6881, at the least.

3. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

torrents are really good at sharing the bandwidth - rather then everyone downloading from one server -

just to get it straight - LEGAL software only .

reason why you might be getting slow DL's could be that you have only just started downloading a file it will get quicker if you leave it , or .. you have to unblock the port that your torrent proggram is trying to use and this rendering your downloads rubbish

or

the computer your trying to download off has windows Vista beta on it and thats got a virus so it's not feeling upto anything like uploading your fav windows screensave to you just yet :)

use the original client of bittorrent always have and always will

4. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I'm using OSX 10.3. I've never installed a third-party firewall but have no idea if there's one automatically set up. I'm using a router, yes.

So how can I get around this? Keep in mind I know litte/nothing about this sort of thing.

Thanks for the help.

5. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

^^^

You'll have to configure the router to direct all incoming request to port 6881, to your own computer.

This differ between the various router brands, so I'm afraid I can't be much help there (unless you happen to have a 3Com router).

As an example:

In my router configuration I go to the Virtual Server section and type in the IP address of my own computer (192.168.xxx.xxx), then enter the LAN (local) port as 6881, and the Public Port as 6881.

Google for "Torrent", "Router", and whatever brand of router you have. Something should come up.

6. lpshean macrumors regular

lpshean

What softwares for handling torrents do you guys recommend? Previously on my XP machine, i used Shareaza... and it worked like a charm. So, im a n00b and i just wanna know is the best alternative out there for my ibook.

7. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

I started off with the official client, and while doing it's job, I found it's feature set a little underwhelming. I then moved to Azureus which gave me great results, but after more than a few hours it would slow both of my machines to a crawl(iMac G5, and powerbook 15). I now am on Bits On Wheels, and have found it to be the perfect compromise for features, stability, and resource hogging. So....thats my recommendation.. :)

8. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Azureus is the way to go although as someone said it can hog resources a bit.Whatever prog you use I suggest you read the FAQ on the following page including the port forwarding tutorial.
    http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

9. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I use Tomato Torrent, though it can really eat up CPU if you're downloading more than two or three things at once. You can find it on versiontracker.com

10. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Another vote for azureus. With azureus you will not have any problems with firewall or router. I have a firewall enabled, but azureus doesn't seem to be disturbed in my downloads.

11. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

hahaha. you know BT is used for alot of things besides software... ;)

anyway - to confuse things more - some BT trackers don't use the usual port 6861 - so you'll have to check with the trackers that you're using.

also - i just stick with the official BT client. i did try Tomato Torrent - but i like the official just fine.

i can also connect to torrents from my Mac (which doesn't have the proper ports forwarded etc) but using one of the computers that do have the ports forwarded & everything set up... you get LOTS faster speeds. :cool:

12. Makosuke macrumors 603

Important note for anyone looking to properly configure a firewall and/or router, though this is explained somewhere in the tutorial linked above: Only one port need be forwarded/opened, and in some BT apps (Azureus, at the least) you can configure it to be any one you want--your client should tell other people on the same torrent which port they can connect to you on. I use a random high-numbered port, for example (security reasons), but so long as I set up the OSX firewall to leave that port open, it works like a charm.

I personally use Azureus--it's gotten pretty good in the latest versions and I've had no problems whatsoever with it hogging resources even after running for several days straight, but then I've got a pretty heavy-duty rig so that might not be true for other folks.

Amusingly enough, my download of an episode of that fan-produced Star Trek series (man, that creeps me out) finished as I was typing this, and I was getting around 200K/s downstream, which I'll wager is better than I'd have gotten if I'd try to pull it off one of their mirrors.

13. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Are there any good online sites/guides that deal with the basics of some of what's being discussed here - ports, firewalls etc..?

14. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

One further question - I've been trying to change the port configurations and from what I've read so far the first step in doing this is to type my IP address address into a web browser and go to that site. However, when I do this I am asked for a username and password. I've tried every username & password I used and have gone to the site of my internet provider, registered and used this username & password, but not have worked.

So I'm just wondering - should this username & password be readily available from customer service on Monday morning if I call them or are they trying to keep customers out for some reason?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions regarding my above question on good sites/guides to ports & firewalls, it would be greatly appreciated.

15. aussiemac86 macrumors 6502

I use azureus, and i have no major problems with it.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to schedule it to start downloading. That way i can use up some of my off peak quota, and keep the rest of the family happy by not using up the peak time quota.

16. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

17. Makosuke macrumors 603

The Azureus Wiki (linked above) is pretty good about covering things. I'd start there if you haven't already.

The IP address you're supposed to be typing in (and therefore logging in to) is of your household router, which may or may not have been supplied by your ISP--did it come with your DSL/cable package, or did you buy it seperately?

And the answer of where to get the login information is usually the router manual--if you didn't change the setup, the default login info should be either printed on the bottom of the router or in the manual. If your ISP set it up for you, you might not even be allowed to log into it (tech support will tell you), but if you are the documentation that came with it should have the info.

18. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Bittorrent is not all about pirating legal software!