Damn Windows Starts Up Fast

Discussion in 'Community' started by iJon, Feb 26, 2003.

1. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

We just put up our new compaq on display and I was pretty impressed. Not with the computer itself but the load times on it. From when I pushed the button I would give it about a 5 second load time then 5 seconds for the Windows welcomes screen and BAM, you there on the desktop. That's my only gripe about my macs. Load times can be very slow. Fortunatly its getting better. I have gotten my Powermac dual 1.25 to boot up as fast as my 2ghz. But the reason my pc boots up slow is because it looks for raid drives in its seperate bios, which i need to disable. PowerBook 12 inches boot up pretty slow, takes about 2 minutes. The new high end imacs are very zippy. I went and turned one on and beter I could turn back around it was up. On the other hand though, boot up times really dont determine my favorite choice of computers, just a small annoyance. if you guys dont believe me on the starup times ill film that compaq on steroids boot up. its crazy.

iJon

2. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

XP saves much of the startup routine for the background once the desktop appears. That saves much of the time of booting.

3. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    i've noticed that on friend's cpus. you get a desktop, but try running anything- you can, but it takes forever until windows is done starting up.

if you think about it, apple could do that also- but what is the point? i want to use my cpu one it is "up" not wait for it to actually finish starting up.

4. Mac til death macrumors regular

Switching to verbose mode seems to help with start-up time for OS X. My Dual 867 is up and running pretty quick.

Press Cmd-v at start up to give it a shot.

or

type sudo nvram boot-args="-v" in the terminal to leave it on.

and sudo nvram boot-args="" to turn it off.

5. howard macrumors 68020

howard

if i restarted my computer everyday it starts up faster and faster...but i don't, i restart it every week or sometimes more. thats a big reason. and also like a few others mentioned, when windows starts up you still can't do anything for a min or so with out it freezing up...or wait...thats all the time ha

6. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

Pardon my ignorance, but what is verbose mode?

7. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Something that people shouldn't bother with unless they know exactly what they are using it for.

It's a mode similiar to Single User mode that allows you to identify start up problems by spooling to the screen an output of all the startup tasks.

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

why does one need to reboot except for the obligatory software updates anyway? OS X doesn't boot fast because it doesn't need to- designed for 99% uptime.

i am happy with how well it runs once you see the desktop tho, system 7-8 were horrible for me as starting file sharing, etc made it slow to a crawl for 1-2 minutes after startup...

pnw

9. Chrisnorth macrumors member

That may be the aim, but it isn't necessarily the outcome. I switched from OS9 to X late last year -- I'm running Jaguar -- and I've had three kernel panics in the last six weeks. All caused by shareware apps, but Kernel Panics (read crashes) none-the-less.

I guess, what I'm saying is that OS X is a significant improvement over OS 9, and I consider it to be much better than any incarnation of Windows that I've used, but it isn't perfect. If start-up times seem too slow, they probably are. Fortunately, Apple seems very committed to making OS X better and better with each subsequent release.

10. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

yeah i agree with you, dont really ever have to restart. i was just making to point that it boots up fast. but in the long run we have the last laugh. i guess they have those fast boot times for a reson, to get back to work after it crashes.

iJon

11. jethroted macrumors 6502a

jethroted

I hear ya.

I hate slow start-ups. My Dell running win/ME starts in about 10 seconds flat. I love that. I know that doesn't mean anything once I'm editing video, but it does make my regular usage of the computer that much better. I hate waiting in front of a NT box for 10 minutes to boot. By the time it starts up, I wanna kick it in the balls! My imac starts up ok, but it has alot of room to improve. I thought I was the only one that slow booting bothered. Every time I mention how much I hate it to someone they just look at me and say "Who cares, it's fast when it's running." I guess it's just a big pet peeve of mine.

12. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

My friends computers start up fast but then it takes like a min-2 min for the taskbar to load and then for the sand clock to stop.

13. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

My PC takes 16-17 seconds to get to the login screen.

14. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

it doesn't matter

bootup time means absolutely nothing. especially when it comes to unix systems. they start slow. thats pretty much a way of life.

what apple has done, that people are not realizing, is accomplish one of the holy grails of power management: instant on. the sleep in OS X is revolutionary and unparalleled on any other OS. nothing can touch it. m$ has been talking about trying to do it for years. apple is already there.

thats what most lifestyle changing technology is in nature. something that almost immediately becomes taken for granted.

15. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I agree. My comp starts up in 16 seconds, but I have only booted
    about 6 or 7 times since I got the computer. So the boot time
    hasn't mattered all that much.

16. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

Re: it doesn't matter

i dont understand, my xp machine can sleep. does os x do something different the xp when it comes to sleep modes.

iJon

17. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

last time i checked, XP didnt have a sleep feature that could be enabled with less than 5% power left on the battery, and still last for weeks without loss of power. also, last i checked, it doesnt bring itself out of sleep into a completely useable state in less than 5 seconds.

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Maybe if you paid for those shareware apps, they'd stop reminding you by causing panics. :D

Seriously, it's rare than anyone gets a panic from the Mac OS X itself, which is much better than I can say for XP, if they called them panics.

My last kernel panic was when I loaded the initial public beta--the first time--and re-booted. I can say that I've seen other troubles (app. crashes) but I don't mess with the kernel that often, which is the same way I treat big systems.

WinXP starts quickly on my 1.8 GHz P4 at work, but it takes forever to load apps. and it's hard to tell whether they've been started since the O.S. doesn't give feedback. It's impressive in many ways, good and bad.

19. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

your system has had 6 panics?

what kind of shareware is this?

sounds like a bunch of hacks written by people who shouldnt be writing software.

20. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

ONLY 6?!?!?!?!?

jk, never had a kernel panic, and I doubt i will. I never tax my
    computer to that degree, or mess with the kernel or anything.

21. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I have no problems with the start up time on my Dual/GHz/DDR PowerMac. I turn it on open the blinds over the computer in the morning and sit back down and I'm at the login window. Seriously from the time it I hit the button to the login is no more then 38 seconds.

I haven't been totally sold on sleep. I don't know why. I just have to shut things off when I leave the room. Could be the serious reprimanding as a kid for leaving a light on. I shut everything off when I plan on leaving the room for more then an hour or so.

22. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Windows cheats a lot in start up times now, it may take 10 seconds to get to the windows desktop, but it takes my high end PC 1min to be able to load any programs. On Macs as soon as they start up, you can use them. Also if you start to add any extra hardware to a PC, it takes even longer to start up. PowerBooks and NoteBook PCs in my experience also seem to take longer to load up than desktops, does anyone know why?

23. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

I never put my XP machines to sleep. I just make them hibernate by holding down the shift button and choosing hybernate after the shut down screen comes up. It takes about 5secs to shut down and 5 seconds to do a cold start up.

24. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

hmm my 2ghz p4 boots up most things faster than my dual ghz. plus i got two extra cards and my pc searches for raid drives and it still beats my dual 1.25.

iJon