Damn you, insomnia! Damn you straight to hell!

Discussion in 'Community' started by ravenvii, Aug 26, 2005.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Here I am, sitting at the front of the computer at 5:54 AM, because I tried for 4 hours to sleep, with miserable results. This is just ****ing great. This means I'll all of sudden get really tired during the day, and my body'll say "let's go to sleep!"... ****, you had what, 12 hours last night, and NOW you want to go to sleep when you can't?! THAT'S JUST GREAT! :mad:

Tomorrow... today I mean... is gonna suck. Thanks a lot, body, thanks a lot.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just pissed.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Hey, I used to get insomnia all the time as a teenager. Especially during the hot Summers. For some reason, I sleep better in Fall and Winter.

It might also be stress from back to school and girls.

3. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

hahaha, yeah that is so annoying when it occurs, ive got work every Saturday morning and im never tired on a friday night. Luckily im tired tonight, had a big game of AFL. Going to have a good sleep tonight at the right time :p

4. andym172 macrumors 6502

I have one week every two months where I just can't sleep. It's very strange as I'm not a person who shows the obvious indicators of stress - I'm very laid back, but never let anything get on top of me.

Have you tried going for a run, or doing any form of exercise in the fresh air?
    I find this helps a lot...

Good luck!

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

thats how i am still, although im not sure if its because of the heat or what.... i just tend to have more energy during the summer.... but hey, at least you don't have to get up in the morning at 5am to go to work like me.... :::sigh::: its going to be a Loooooooong day again.

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

If it is not stress, insomnia could be from a lack of exercise. Barring medical conditions, of course.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I find the opposite is true for me. I sleep less if I exercise compared to when I'm just being a lazy bum. Sleep is apparently mainly meant for your mind, not your body. Your body only needs a little bit of sleep. :)

8. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Ha! I bet you can't sleep because you're excited about your Nintendo DS.

9. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Exercise will totally put me to sleep. Its weird like at the sports carnival i did alot of events. I went to bed at 6pm that night. I even go to bed around 3-5 pm :eek: regularly after i big day of non stop sport when. Thats straight away when i arrive home.

10. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Sorry to read that, I haven't had the best nights lately, and sometimes my back hurts and at the ned of the day I'm over, but can'T sleep, it's in your mind, not your body. Exercising your body will force you to sleep but still won't be helpful to your thoughts during the next day.

Look for the problem and then the solution.

11. scubabeano macrumors member

scubabeano

You ever try one of those hynosis CDs? - they're awesome, they really work. You need to listen to it every evening, and after a few days you'll nod off anywhere :D

12. inlimbo macrumors 6502

Send it this way please

I know your going to hate me for saying this but... I wish I had insomnia. Im an honours student and I think it would be great to have insomnia. Imagine how much work I could get done if I couldn't get to sleep!

13. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Buy a mac! Buy an iPod! Buy a mac! Buy an iPod! Buy a mac! Buy an iPod! ... I see, ;)

14. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

No boy, you don't wish that, you wish you could handle your time better, you wish to reach a lot of things you think about, but you don'T wish insomnia for yourself.

Buy a mac! Buy an iPod! Buy a mac! Buy an iPod! :p
    Buy a mac! Buy an iPod! Buy a mac! Buy an iPod! :p

15. neildmitchell macrumors 6502a

neildmitchell

I go through the same thing.

Usually what I do is, go for an hour walk starting at 10pm
    while walking make sure I am breathing deep and relaxed, but not hypervent.
    Hatha Yoga - Breathing

12-1 comes around, and I head off to bed.
    I turn the alarm clock so I cant look at at
    take a few more deep controlled breathes, and then normal breathing,
    starting with my toes, I think my toes are relaxed I then move on only when I feel I have relaxed that part. As you move you should feel your body become heavier and heavier.

once my whole body is relaxed, I will count backwards from 99, as I count I am counting in step with my breathes, so as I get further into counting I try to slow my breathing down (comfortably, dont force it) .

and if you make it all the way down to 0, then hopefully you should be able to get to sleep.

I do this because I do have probs sleeping sometimes, but also cause my brain seems to gear up into overdrive at night, and I need to try and quite it.
    Even during all the relaxation excercise, my brain wont shut up. Maybe I have a form of ADD or something, who knows.

16. CompUser Guest

I can't sleep at all if it is above 70 degrees in a room. Seriously. If the temp is in the mid 60s Bam- right to sleep I go.

Reading something helps me fall asleep. It makes my eyes tired.

17. emw macrumors G4

emw

So, did you fall asleep in your bean soup at lunch or what? We're all dying to find out!

Although I am sorry to hear about your dilemma. Mine always strikes when I know I need to get up early, and I keep looking at the clock to make sure I didn't miss the alarm or something :rolleyes:

18. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I'm in the same situation when I have long trips ahead, can't sleep!

19. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Damn. I ended up nodding off at 7 AM on my chair. Woke up at 3 PM.

Practically the whole day gone. At least I am not feeling horrible... Probably not going to sleep well tonight neither... Vicious circle I tell you.

20. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I just got back from the US so I know how you feel. I went to sleep at around 10pm and woke up at 2am, unable to sleep anymore. It's gonna suck.

Are you old enough to drink? A small glass of wine (red) usually makes me a little drowsy (it helped on the 13 hour flight coming over here.)

21. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

ah yes my insomnia is back in full force. i know its more in my mind than my body. my body is relaxed, im very good about keeping it that way, i rarely get knots in my back and even though i'm not the healthiest person... i know its rested. my mind refuses to shut off though..... just keeps chugging along at the problems i have even if they are rather inconsequential. what can you do though? i got a nap in today, but who knows.... maybe after being up for 24+ hours i will crash for longer than two hours.

22. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Hey at least you are not like me and gone the other way
    I am a hypersomniac , I require 1/4 MORE sleep than the average person
    which for me is minimum 9.5 hours a night, any less and I will just fall asleep at what ever I try to do,
    hypersomnia is seen as a possible precursor to narcolepsy so I have more neat sh*t to look forward to.

23. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

At least you won't be awake for it though. ;)

Oh, and I thought I'd give you a smiley that's already halfway to being asleep. It seemed appropriate.

24. neildmitchell macrumors 6502a

neildmitchell

Are you serious! I need an av of 10, I thought I was the only one. I had no idea it was called hypersomniac Thank you.
    My grandmother had narcolepsy, so I might also later in life? Great

hypersomnia – also called excessive (daytime) sleepiness or somnolence; the inability to remain awake during an individual’s normal wake period.

Hypersomnia refers to either excessive sleepiness during the day or extended, overly long periods of nighttime sleep. Other words that are synonymous with hypersomnia are excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS), excessive sleepiness, or somnolence.

Hypersomnia is fairly common, with nearly 5% of the population affected. The age groups most affected by hypersomnia are teenagers and young adults. As with most sleep disorders, hypersomnia is underreported because many people inaccurately believe that always feeling sleepy and taking naps are normal behavior.

These individuals fall asleep during movies, dinner, or even in conversation. Similarly, they may sleep ten hours or longer during one sleep cycle, rather than the average eight.

Thank you, I have no idea. That explains so much. Im going all the way back in my sleep history to preschool, and Hypersomnia explains it all.

25. keithpetey macrumors member

get a job. im at school or work 7 days out of the week. i wake up around 7 everyday and get home around 5. which seems pretty normal but i do it EVERYDAY. then when i do get home i do alot of homework. i try to have a life but its kinda hard. i just got home right now and im going to sleep. when my head hits the pillow im out like a light.