Damnit!! I just slept through my class

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacFan782040, Feb 16, 2006.

1. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

I took a test at 8 this morning, had time leftover so I came back to my dorm. I had like a half hour until I had to leave for my 9:30 Electronic Media class. I layed on my bed, woke up now, and it's 10:30.

I'm so mad because it's my major, and it's so interesting. I love it. He gives a quiz every class, though, and so I missed out on that. Each quiz is worth 2 Percentage points of your final grade. So right now, I'm down to a 98% :mad:

I'll get the notes from somebody I guess. I just HATE oversleeping. Ok I feel better getting this off my chest. Have a good day everyone.

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Seeing as it's electronic media, surely the notes will be online :p

3. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Ouch! :eek: For a moment there, I thought you meant that you'd gone to class, then fell asleep to be woken by the bell :p (I've done this a coupla times - sometimes it's the only way to survive English)

4. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I thought the same thing. I fell asleep during German class once and the teacher thought it was hilarious (of course that was after he slammed a ruler on the table in front of me).

Also, a few weeks ago I had a 5.30am shift at work. It had been a hot night and I didn't get to sleep for ages. My alarm goes off, I give myself 5 more minutes which ends up being more like 35 :eek: The boss didn't really care though, so it wasn't all bad.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well, we don't have bells at my uni but I have fallen asleep in class (8:30am for a quantum chemistry class?? Yah right...) only to be woken by Stephen (my lecturer) poking me in the stomach with the long bit of dowel that serves as a pointer.

6. MacFan782040 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Nope :rolleyes:

...But I can get them from a few friends. But I know I take really good notes (I'll be cocky about my note-taking skills ;) ) and somebody else might not get all the info. Oh well. It's one class.

7. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

I know just how you feel. Not going to class because you're playing hookey is the best feeling in the world; not going to class because you're oversleeping is the worst.

8. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I had a test at 9:30 this morning so I was sure to set two alarms. I've never overslept a class (accidentally), but I for sure didn't want to miss a test.

On Monday I think I fell asleep in class because I didn't remember my teacher telling us about what's on tomorrow's test. I went in to his office hours to ask and he was like, uh, we talked about that in class... :eek:

Chundles - Your sig is awesome!

9. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I've gotten very close to oversleeping a class but I managed to wake up with minutes to spare (well, more like 15 to spare since it takes about 10 min to walk to Uni).

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I slept through a final once when I was a Freshman in college....it was Geology 101, one of those classes with 150 students in a huge lecture hall. I would have failed the class as a result, but I managed to talk my way into being allowed to re-take it - I was able to convince the professor that I was in fact there. It was a close call though.:eek:

11. jdechko macrumors 68040

I almost had a similar incident happen to me. I could have sworn that my exam was at 11, when in reality it was at 8. About 8:20 i got a phone call from my friend asking me where I was. He had finished with his exam. After a quick run, I made it to class at 8:30 and finished the exam by 8:45.

The exam was only worth 30% of the final w/ 70% being take home. So I just Christmas-treed the final.

12. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

A 15min exam:confused:

13. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

14. Sogo macrumors 6502

Well today i was suppose to see my TA at 8:30...I woke up at 8:45...boy did i run quick. :)

15. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

It must be a funny joke with teachers. I remember that happening to a poor kid who had American Government class just before me in 10th grade. He'd fallen asleep at my desk and was completely out. Since he was occupying my seat I just sat in the one behind him (since it was usually empty). The teacher waited until the last bell rang and then jolted the kid awake. He bolted out of our class so fast I didn't even get a good look at the confused/embarrassed look on his face. I wouldn't sit at my desk for about a week after because he had left a big puddle of drool on it that didn't get washed off until the janitor came to do a deeper cleaning of the classroom (about a week later)--you could see the outlined of the dried drool. Ewwww... still grosses me out to think about it! :p

Also, I fell asleep in my Electrical Engineering class in college. I somehow jolted myself awake, gasped really loud and slammed my hand down on my notebook I'd been taking notes in before dozing off. The professor gave me a very knowing stare, which was then returned by my embarrassed blush/eye aversion.

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Next time go to bed when sleep is upon you....maybe you can take a makeup exam or something. That college life for you.

Bless

17. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

It happens to everyone at least once. But it does suck that you missed your quiz.

18. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

you book worms need to relax. Missing class is not the end of the world. Just do the reading.

19. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

My roommate slept in this morning because his alarm did not go off. He had to make a mad dash to class.

And my first quarter at a 4 year school, I totally thought that my Graphic Design Beginners class critique final was at a different hour. Totally missed the critique final. Still handed in my assignment to the teacher and got a slight lecture on the importance of being on time.

20. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

My 9 am class doesn't have book. Everything is discussed in class. I slept in one day and it took me forever to catch up.

21. MacFan782040 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Same here, it's a very audible learning style. We have a quiz everyday (I screwed myself 2 times by not having the info for next class's quiz...I'll have to get the notes from somebody)

Your right, not the end of the world...It's cool though.

PS- On our campus news show we do every night, we went LIVE tonight. We usually record to tape around 6:30 and then playback at 7:30, but people kept messing up. We didn't have enough time to redo it, so we made the decision to go live...It was it an adrenile rush, something about being live was just cool. Someday I'll have to post a video segment on here....it's pretty cool.

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

hahaha classic!

23. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

A friend of mine (he's a Windows user) has the unique ability to a) sleep with this eyes open, and b) while he's sitting up.

Last spring, we were both taking the AP US History test in our school's library, and I looked across the table at him, and noticed the blank stare on his face. We've been friends since about 2nd grade, so I pretty much knew that he had fallen asleep. I kicked him under the table and his eyes got really wide, then he got back to his test.

He ended up getting a lower score on the test than I did, even though he knew the subject pretty well, perhaps better than I did. I guess that's what happens when you fall asleep during an AP test.

Lesson learned: don't cram, you'll just fall asleep the next day.

24. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

Once in high school, I was just totally drained in my English class. We had a quiz on the book we were reading but right before we started, I crashed. I wake up as the papers were being passed up. So I went up to the teacher and told her what had happened. She told me she knew but since I was so far ahead of everybody else in the reading, she would give me credit anyway.

25. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I hate it when I fall asleep in English, and no one wakes me up!!!
    I have slept through half of lunch without the teacher waking me!
    I also have fallen asleep during an essay in that class, and during a test (but at least someone woke me up those times!)