Dan Rather's last day

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

He wasn't my favorite anchor, but I'm still sorry to see him go.

He wasn't an apologist for the Right, and he ended up taking a lot of heat for that.

The "Memogate" thing? Unfortunately, if you're surrounded by creeps, all it takes is one mistake for them to eat you alive and forget a lifetime of quality work.

Good article about Rather here. Brian Williams of NBC also had some very nice things to say about him on The Daily Show (being rerun today).

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

who in network television is an 'appologist for the right'?

3. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Aside from the entire Fox network, you mean?

BTW, I made the mistake of tuning in five minutes of Rush today, thinking, "Well, he might try to show a bit of class and not kick Dan Rather as he's going out the door."

Silly me! :rolleyes:

About all I had the stomach to listen to was Unca Rush describe how, now that Rather's leaving, the "long knives are coming out at CBS", and how Walter Cronkite in particular is bitterly criticizing ol' Dan Rather.

Of course, who ya gonna believe, Rush or that Commie liberal network CNN?

Doesn't sound like he's got the "long knives" out for Dan to me. Nice try, though, Rush. [​IMG]

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Dan Rather, I don't really like for how he delivers the news. He speaks in sort of broken sentences. What really gave me no respect for him as an anchor and a journalist, were the occasions when he would cry on camera. Even though the events he was covering were emotional, he should not be. He's the only anchor I've seen who cries like a little baby on-camera. Very unprofessional in my opinion.

5. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

(snip partial transcript of Wolf Blitzer interview with Walter Cronkite...)
    I didn't hear Rush's show today, but I did read the rest of the interview that you linked to. Cronkite wasn't entirely complimentary of Dan Rather:
    I'm not sure where his comments land on the "long knives" scale, but if I were retiring I wouldn't feel great about one of my colleagues expressing surprise that my employers "tolerated his being there for so long." :(

I hope Uncle Walter's words came across better live than they do in print.

6. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I respectfully disagree. If he was doing it for "show" (a la William Hurt's character in Broadcast News), that's one thing; but if he was genuinely moved by whatever story it was that he was reporting, I think it's fine for him to show some emotion. And for the record, although I'm not a regular viewer of the CBS Evening News, I've never seen Dan Rather "cry like a little baby."

Perhaps you've seen the old news footage of Walter Cronkite getting choked up as he reported that President Kennedy was dead. I wasn't even alive when JFK was assassinated, and thus don't have the same understanding of how significant that was to the American people, but I still find that footage very moving. Makes me cry like a little baby every time I see it. ;)

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You mean besides John Stossel and Brian Williams?

8. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think he's talking more about ratings, rather than casting aspersions on Rather's integrity as Rush and so many other talk radio people do.

9. ~loserman~ macrumors 6502a

Good riddance.
    Never liked him. Thought he was boring. He never held a candle to Walter Cronkite or David Brinkley

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yes, because good journalism is all about excitement, right?

11. ~loserman~ macrumors 6502a

TV news for the last 10 to 20 years .... You bet it is.
    Especially when one can so easily gain access to another competing outlet so easily by just pushing a button or turning a dial.
    When I want quality journalism it isnt TV that I turn to. I only turn to TV for filler pictures and live video feeds.
    I personally found Rather, monotone, pompous at times, Many times he acted like he was more important than the story, and on many occasions I could see his bias.
    You are not actually telling me that Rather can be considered in the same league as Cronkite,Brinkley, or Murrow are you?

12. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Being an Old Fart, I come from the days when TV news was a choice of one of The Three. I developed the habit of sorta tuning out whatever came across as opinion, paying attention to what was reported as the events themselves. The news, not any editorializing.

I guess the primary bias I have observed has to do with "statism", a liking of expanded central power in federal government. That has little to do with liberal or conservative, left or right, as evidenced by today's two main political parties statist positions on most issues.

To me, then Rather was okay as an anchor. Certainly no worse than the others. I've commonly varied which network I watched. Rather, Jennings, et al--allasamee.

I saw only one real negative-image deal with Rather. Back around 1997, give or take a year or so, he did a one-on-one with Clinton. Rather's behavior reminded me of a little puppy who'd rolled over on his back, wanting his tummy scratched. Fawning, sycophantic; a record for soft questions. I don't remember whether it was before or after the tape of the interview, but Rather bubbled and blathered about what a great coup and great honor it was to have a one-hour one-on-one with a sitting President...

Now, that's but one event in a long career, but Rather can't blame poor staff work for that one. I think it's sorta sad that that will always be a part of my memory about a guy who really worked his tail off to do as good a job as he could.

'Rat

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

As far as I'm concerned that's par for the course. When was the last time you saw ANY journalist in a one-on-one with the prez really put the screws to him? And did you see O'Reilly embarrass himself with his impression of a lap-dog in the only one-on-one Bush did in the run up to the election? I mean, I'm not a fan of O'Really myself, but even I was embarrased at the boot-licking he did, not to mention the disparagement of intellectualism they were both throwing around.

The problem with the Washington press is that they all want to be invited to 'report' on all the swanky events at the best places. Thus they don't want to be 'thebadguy' to the prez. Combine that with corporate bottom-line people calling the news shots with the finesse with which the two parties 'work the ref' so to speak any time they try to run something damaging and you have a whole cadre of puppies ready to roll over and show their stomachs. It makes me sick sometimes.

14. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Actually, last night, in an interview Dan Rather did with George Bush the First...in 1989!

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

carol coleman, last year.

of course, "really" is relative. and she's not an american journalist.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I think it's time Jeremy Paxman had a go at him: he's not American either, but I'd book a ringside seat in a second.

17. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I could be mistaken, but I sense an ulterior motive here.

Rather has never let "the system" push him around. The Right has wanted him gone for a long time, and thanks to that Memogate mistake, they got their wish.

But I have to think that Rather is engineering this to his own benefit. Yes, he'll be gone from The CBS News...but at 60 Minutes, given his tendencies, he'll likely be pushing for harder-hitting, more exposé-type journalism...more of the type he did in all those CBS Reports specials he used to do years ago.

So it's possible that Rather has, instead of losing a prime job, freed himself up to go after people. I think he's got the clout to do it.

The Right may end up ruing the day that Rather left the anchor desk.

18. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Yeah, mac, I follow your point. However, I don't bother with O'Reilly. He's not particularly any sort of bad guy, but somehow I'm just uninterested in his opinions...

If Rather does well with 60 Minutes. I don't know why the Right should worry any more than the Left, if Rather is unbiased in his investigative stuff.

'Rat

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The neocons fear accurate reporting and unbiased, objective analysis more than anything except an intellligent audience receptive to same.

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Book a couple of tickets while you're about it.
    Hell, book a few million... that's one interview we're never going to see.