Dance Dance Revolution

Discussion in 'Community' started by jadam, Feb 2, 2003.

1. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I don't play it regularly... but I did buy the pad for the Dreamcast just to see what the hype was all about. I bought it recently - so it was only like $20 or so for 2 pads.

arn

3. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

My gf bought DDRMAX. a lil different, but still its DDR. Um, so we have two pads, and the game. SO I play it with her. I have been thinking about palying it without her lately....we'll see. It's got that whole moving thing that feels weird when gaming....gotta get used to it. :D

4. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

Theres a game at the columbus GameWorks called Police 911. You actually have to duck in real life to avoid being shot. I think this is a great way to enhance the realism of games. All they need now is 3d goggles

5. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

That does sound cool. Except you would eventually get tired. What happens to a gamer who is fat, and lazy when they want to play a game? s/he gets killed really quick, but they could be the best and never loose in other games.

If you're not in shape and/or non-athletic then these games wont be fun. And I'd say the nonathletic part is true to many gamers.

6. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

well maybe since US children are getting fatter and fatter..the video games that keep them from going outside and doing things to keep them in shape SHOULD sometimes provide a little movement.

just a thought

7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I used to play it regularly but I don't play anymore. It pissed me off that i never got good! :p

8. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I've been over there and played that game.. man is it annoying. Takes a long time to get used to having to duck and move... I like the idea, but its not realistic enough.

9. jadam thread starter macrumors 6502a

jadam

im waiting for a DDR simulator for macs. That way i can hook up my DDR pad to my ibook and play some DDR :-D

I hear that there is a Mac Port of Stepmania in progress so thats good news.

10. jadam thread starter macrumors 6502a

jadam

11. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

DDR

I hate DDR. Its like a kiddie fisher price dancing game (to me atleast).

I have played those games where you have to move from being hit. There is this boxing one at ESPN Zone, its really cool. You box this guy, and when he swings or jabs, you have to dodge it.

12. jadam thread starter macrumors 6502a

jadam

Re: DDR

try playing a song on Maniac ;-) its not THAT easy, its actually very hard, especially songs like the Maxxs which have 573 steps in 1minute 32 seconds.

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

explain for the ignorant - what are you talking about? I don't have a clue.

D

14. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Duke

Its a game like this. There is a screen in front of you, and at the top of the screen, there are the arrows: Up, Down, Left, and Right.

Then, arrows fly up from the bottom of the screen, at a certain beat depending on the song being played. Once they are aligned with the set arrows on the top of the screen, you have to step on the arrow that is on a gamepad on the ground.

So its like you are playing a game with your feet. I dont like it :eek:

15. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Is DDR that thing where you have to hit certain points on the pads at certain times with the music?

If so, I've seen it at my local arcade... There were some guys busting out on it...

Hey arn, I didn't know you were into games and stuff like that! Just a question, if not too personal, but how old are you arn?

16. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

yes it is....its not just playing with your feet....you have to dance to it when it gets hard. It's a really good workout, and isnt so rough on your legs like running...and you dont have to goto an aerobics class or anything :p

17. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

i like the fact it's getting kids into the arcade agiain. ive observed the game since the first version, and it's the most popular in the arcade wherever its at. arcades need all the $ they can get as here in SD they're going out FAST.

arcade = social nerd interaction. by bringing the game home it's just another excuse 4 the really good kids to be recluses. the recluses DO come to the aracde, but u can totally tell which ones breathe/eat/sleep the game on a daily basis.

as a founded stereotype, the asians RULE at this game. i've only known one white guy to be on the same level (dual dance pad, secret games, grade A kind of level) and hes an arcade employee.

i think it takes a lot of skill to play the game, but personally i much prefer fighting games like tekken. to me its really a bling-bling cheap arcade gimmick with all the lights and noise.

i do h8 to be negative, ive never seen anything bad surrounding this game. just cheap thrills like n e other fashionable product of our society. i just wonder if it'll be an immortal classic at the arcades or just another fad. only time will tell...

18. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

We all know DDR is too insane and Tekken is for button mashers.

Now Virtua Fighter 4 Rev. C ... there's an arcade machine.

19. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

well, sadly this can be the case for the casual arcade goer. if you get the right competition, tekken is the ultimate game of timing and skill.

you want button mashing? try a capcom game like MVC2. tekken is pure skill at the right level of competition.

20. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

I agree with you partly.. but until you witness guarding multi-throw escape buffering evasions on Virtua Fighter 4, well.. you ain't seen nothing when it comes to fighter complexity and technical stragety.

Oh yeah, and Ling is the best.

21. yosoyjay macrumors regular

That game is fairly entertaining... I've played it many times at Gameworks Seattle. I still prefer SF3:3rd Strike.

I dislike DDR, but lots o' people like it.

22. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

28 :)

arn

23. charboneau macrumors member

24. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

tekken has escape buffering called 'chicken'. there used to be more counters, but in 4 not to many people have them.

lei is the best fighter in ANY fighting game. he has like 19 stances.