Dang un-unstuffable .sit files

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by The Bender, Jun 24, 2002.

1. The Bender macrumors member

Every so often I get a .sit that has a generic icon, and when I try to unstuff, expander does nothing and then quits without so much as an error message. I assume they originate from PCs. Today I made myself a .sit from a PC, mailed it to myself, and when I collected it on my Mac, it was the same: Expander didn't want to play.

Does anyone know about this issue or even better, how to solve it (preferably from the Mac end)?

Thanks in advance.

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

One, which version of Stuffit are you using??? Get the latest (6.5.1 on the Mac).

Two, don't make SIT files, make SEA (Self Extracting Archives) THAT way, you don't need to use anything to open the file.

Three, have you tried to dropping the file onto expander??

Which OS are you trying to do this within???

3. The Bender thread starter macrumors member

Dropping on and opening within both don't work, on both 9.2.2 and 10.1.5. I'm using Stuffit 6.0.x, which I guess is worth updating for a long shot. It's probably a good idea to use .sea, but that won't work on files I get from other people. If there's not a known issue, I suppose I can probably assume that the files are just corrupted. It's just strange that I don't get any error message.

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Update to 6.5.1 and try it... It has been out for a while now... :p

5. The Bender thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I know... I always click away the box that begs me to do it. I think I am probably just bone idle, and don't want to wait for it under my crappy 56K connection. Well, maybe the time has come.

6. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

when i got 6.5.1 it wouldnt install, even tho it said it did. i would open stuffit and it would still say 6.5.0 and i woiuld still get the annoying, download .5.1 thing everytime stuffit ran.

just a warning.