dangerous bug in safari!?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by superkatalog, Jan 9, 2003.

1. superkatalog macrumors regular

someone posted this on the apple safari forum:

I option clicked on a link in Safari to test a download. The download changed to the name of my home directory as it was downloading. It saved into my User folder. In the blink of an eye, it removed, destroyed, evaporated, my entire Home directory, including the desktop which disappeared along with days of work projects that were on it! Safari itself disappeared because it was on the desktop. My multi-gig directory was suddenly only 32 k. Of course, all of my work files, financial records, etc. are in my Home directory; by some quirk of fate, I had just backed up work files other than those on the desktop to another drive. Yikes!!!

here is the link
    forum

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Thousands and thousands of people have DLd Safari, and this is the first I have heard of this problem. It sounds like an isolated bug, which likely isnt even related to Safari.

3. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

You might have a virsus or some other program + Safari causing a problem.

OR it could be Microsoft causing the problem because it does not want you to use Safari over IE. :)

4. ChicagoMac macrumors regular

Sounds like a fabrication to me. I don't like Safari, but I don't believe this story either. Maybe this one will make it to www.snopes.com

5. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

My guess is, that this poor guy just had a HD fault. Happens with some drives... always good to backup, hm?

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Since it's compressed when it's downloaded, until you unstuffed it Safari could not cause a bug. The filename, or location, or size, or some other random thing, could have triggered a bug in OS X or the web browser the guy was using... but to call this Safari's fault isn't fair. Maybe if it happened the first time he ran Safari, but not while he downloaded it...

btw cool to see another snopes fan :)

pnw

7. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Check the thread, guys. This is not an isolated incident, this has happened to several people! BEWARE OF OPTION-CLICKING in Safari. This is a potentially serious bug!