Dangerous Sentiments

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by OutThere, Jan 20, 2005.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

In response to this article on BBC News, I read this:

I can only wonder how many people feel this way.

2. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i hope not too many but i suspect there are already too much of them...

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well Mr. Easely and President Bush makes two that I know of who feel that way...

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Did anyone read the article about Cheney's speech/position on the expansion of Presidential power? In a nutshell, he talks about Bush "restoring" the true power and prestige to the Postion of President, unfairly weakened in the wake of the Nixon/Watergate scandal.

I guess valuable lessons learned don't stand a chance against ideology, which of course is why this administration has no interest in any history they can't write themselves...

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Don't worry BF, their interest in expanding the power of the presidency will only last until the next Democratic president. Then they'll be fighting to curtail the powers of the President.

6. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Yeah sure, this country talks up democracy and balance of powers - but what it really wants is a monarchy. Someone with absolute power to make all their decisions for them and make them feel good about themselves. Even if the term hereditary president is an oxymoron, I don't think it would stop people from falling for it.

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

<sarcasm>oh...well in that case, it's all fine. I was worried for a minute...<sarcasm>

Slightly OT ( I am too lazy to start a thread ), but did anyone read/hear/watch Bush's inaguration speech? I haven't yet, but I did see the headlines which all basically said: " Bush promises to aid the oppressed in the darkest corners of the world" or some such *****. I guess if you are poor, gay or an immigrant in America, you don't count...

8. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

... I wouldn't stand for it.

America needs no emperor, we are a representative democracy for a reason. America needs the Liberal Weeners and the Right Wing Nut Jobs to balance each other out... I swear, if any one sane person agrees to this sort of thing, im going to go on a rampage. I am a conservative, but no way in hell are we going back to old king george...

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Modern news media seems to agree this is how we come about acheiving balance in reporting. I think it leads to the most radical and extreme viewpoints getting covered at the expense of the less sensational moderate ones.

I think America needs to not give power to either side's extremist sects.

The idea of balance is not going to come to fruition if our government is decided by having the nutjobs come out and scream at each other, with the best nutjob winning the power.

10. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

Yeah probablly, more moderation is needed... And people need to get the idea of picking sides out of their collective asses.