Daniel Cooperman to Join Apple as General Counsel

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 28, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple announced today that Daniel Cooperman, senior vice president, general counsel and secretary at Oracle Corporation, will join Apple as the company's senior vice president, general counsel and secretary, replacing Donald J. Rosenberg.

Donald Rosenberg had only held the position since November 2006, after Former Apple general counsel Nancy Heinen had left amidst accusations of involvement in the backdating scandal.

Article Link

2. ATG
    macrumors regular

Exciting... :rolleyes:

I suppose we've had all the interesting news we're going to get until macworld.

3. macrumors 68020

LizKat

He does sound like a good pick.

Bet the fine print in his move from Oracle to Apple is something to behold.

4. macrumors 604

CalBoy

Oh I'm sure his contract is full of good stuff. He is a lawyer right? For a company like Apple, that general counsel position must be a coveted one.

5. macrumors member

On track to be the least viewed thread in the history of MacRumors, if not the internet itself.

6. macrumors regular

As long as he doesn't fire Steve Jobs, everything is OK. :D

7. macrumors 601

andiwm2003

the question is why did the other guy leave after less than a year?

the real question is when will apple revamp .mac? just more storage doesn't cut it. a web interface for ical would be great but absolutely off topic........:D

8. macrumors 65816

Squonk

Shouldn't this be a page 2 item.

And seriously, who can realistically offer a POSITIVE or NEGATIVE vote on this?

NEGATIVE = fans of Donald or they wanted the job themselves?

POSITIVE = runs in different circles than me to know if Dan is a real "catch"!

:D

9. macrumors member

Thank <insert deity> ! Now I can get some sleep.

10. macrumors 603

Rocketman

I say he was a temp until they had time to interview prospects for a long-term fit. Apple tends to be very loyal to employees and visa-versa. So it makes sense the surprise departure of the former counsel under duress caused Apple to find someone quick pending a permanent find.

The sheer amount of ongoing activities by Apple's General Counsel is staggering and the person in that position has their personal name and signature on high level documents.

There is speculation why the recent departure guy would go to Qualcom. I say Qualcom is steeped in heavy litigation for its life and that job is very exciting and valuable right now. Apple is on high energy cruise right now.

I would think an attorney would want to work somewhere like Microsoft which is under massive attack worldwide legally.

Rocketman

11. macrumors regular

Or page 3 ? :)

12. BTW
    macrumors 6502

Oh I doubt it. Are we not holding out for AppleTV goodness? We didn't see a firmware update for that this week (maybe it's EOL'd). :D

Which brings me to a point. Shouldn't the AppleTV get the iTunes Wi-Fi store too?

13. macrumors regular

quovadis

Such important news for us .... does this mean Leopard will be released earlier than the end of October?

14. macrumors 603

wordmunger

Snarky comments aside, this suggests that Apple may be changing its philosophy with regards to litigation. They could, for example, get more aggressive with C&Ds targeted at rumor sites. They might move away from (or toward) more DRM.

Do I have any idea what legal tactics they'll be taking in the future? No. But if we start seeing a different approach, we might want to look back at this move as the reason.

15. macrumors 68000

Orrrrrrr.

The previous guy was understood by both parties to be a temp hire. And now they found the permanent replacement.

We have no idea what the understanding was.

You make a big leap there.

16. macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Is it a bird, is it a plane, no it's... (I'll get me coat :eek: )

17. macrumors 6502a

bdj21ya

I dunno about that. I could see us easily getting some sort of rental service this fall.

18. macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Trivial to the average user and this makes front page news?

Anyone know a list of other forums for rumors and news that you might reccamend? Nothing against macrumors, just intersted in more MAC reading material. Thanks! :)

19. macrumors 65816

Squonk

I think Steve might have a hang nail today too! And he spilled his soy latte on his brand new black mock-turtleneck. LOL

And to the other posters, was there supposed to be a firmware update for the :apple:TV this week? I feel like I'm in deep left field again... :D

20. macrumors 6502a

happydude

*yawn*

after 314,002 new updates yesterday i think we're due for a slow news day . . .

21. macrumors regular

quovadis

you mean rumor sites such as macrumors.com???

22. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The backdating scandal affected scores of tech companies. Is anyone keeping score? I'm wondering how many of those investigations are still in progress, how many were dropped, how many produced actions, resignations, convictions, etc.

At one point, there were over 100 companies being looked at by the SEC (UnitedHealth Group, for example). But almost all the news stories about the scandal are focused on Apple, Steve Jobs, and his crew.

23. macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Thanks for the valuable info! Hangnails IM not interested in, more MAC news I am! :rolleyes:

24. macrumors newbie

elguille

i can't believe that I'm wasting my time writing in a post like this:rolleyes:
    :confused:

25. macrumors 6502a

I know this wont get you more ground-breaking news, but you DO realize the forums tab in the upper right will take you to a magical world of Mac discussion and information? Right?