Dare I say it! .NET development on mac

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by BeefUK, Oct 7, 2006.

1. BeefUK macrumors member

I have recently made the decision to switch to a mac, although I have not purchased one yet, I will do in the next few months. I usually do web development in php, however I my current jobs requires me to use .net and visual studio.

Does anyone have any experience of developing with visual studio running windows on a mac.

As I understand it, windows runs natively on a mac so there shud really be no isssues.

Any comments on theis wud be appreciated

2. Heath macrumors regular

.Net

In order to run visual studio you will need to install either Boot Camp or parallels software. This allows you to run windows applications on your Mac. Visual studio will not run natively under OS X. If you install Boot Camp, then it will allow you to install Windows which then will run Visual Studio for you. With boot camp your Mac will behave just like every other windows PC out there.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

4. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

I work in a .net environment at work. I run visual studio via parallels. Everything works fine at least from my experience. However, I work much better in OS X and my favorite text editor is on the mac so I have my project directories shared and work on the files in OS X. Basically I just use visual studio to compile the project. Personally, I can't stand .net, but that's the development environment at work.

5. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

What's your favourite text editor?

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Visual Studio 2005 runs fine under Boot Camp, and I haven't had any trouble under Parallels either. The only other option is Mono, an open-source implementation of .Net, but it's not really ready for "prime time" yet.

7. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

I had a hard time getting Mono to run correctly. I have to admit I didn't dedicate much time to it.

A friend made a video on running VS.NET on Parallels. You can check it out on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqF2FPCwXL4

8. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

Textmate. :)

9. BeefUK thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for your comments. Sounds like there's no problems with .net in windows on a mac.

I agree, but I have to learn it for work. Ur idea of compiling via parallels sounds a good idea. I'll have to see how I get on when I get my mac

10. Foggy macrumors 6502a

That seems to be running like a complete and utter dog - I hope it isnt that bad on my mbp when I get it.