daringfireball: possible new mobile device OS prediction

Discussion in 'Event Archives' started by shecky, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Guest

May 24, 2003
    Obviously you're not a golfer.
    from John Gruber at Daringfireball.net

i have to agree that would be even cooler than a new phone; a new mobile platform entirely. unlikely, but cool.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Dec 22, 2003
    Don't think it's that unlikely.

1. Take NEXTSTEP. Add some OS X enhancements, such as the GUI, most of Darwin, but leave out new frameworks etc unless they're absolutely necessary, and forget about 90% of the device drivers and stuff as they're unnecessary.
    2. Add Java (at least, J2ME)
    3. Add Quicktime

Result: OS X Lite. They could easily have been keeping this in development for the last ten years, as they did OS X for Intel, without anyone knowing. For the most part, it's a set of Makefile flags added to Mac OS X.

But that's not the only way of doing it. An alternative is to take an OS like Mac OS 9, remove some of the unnecessary stuff, upgrade the GUI a little, and have Java and maybe CarbonLib. Very low on the resource requirements, very efficient.

Apple doesn't have to build this thing from the ground up. It already has two candidates in terms of old systems that have 90% of the functionality required and just need tweaking and a UI overhaul to make them "just work".
  3. macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2002
    Did You just use OS 9 and efficient in the same sentence? Why not use System 7? I would like it and I know dpaanlka would love it.
  4. macrumors member

Dec 26, 2006
  5. macrumors 65816

Feb 24, 2004
    The once amusing macosrumors.com say the same thing, they have been for a while. Let's wait and see. The MacBook modded tablet looks interesting, but I think it's going to be a lot of £££.