Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
none
It would be awesome if we could select a "dark mode" theme. I find dark mode to be much easier on the eyes and far less strenuous. Are there any plans for an alternative theme like that?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
SG, maybe it is a little bit off-topic, but would you be so kind to share your experience with f.lux. I have been looking at this application for some time.
My experience has been a good one. I set it to find my location and it coordinates with the local sunrise/sunset and gradually dims the brightness and changes the color warmth to be easier on the eyes.

Depending on the app and especially the monitor you use, it may be better to disable the f.lux on a per app basis. For instance, I have a Mac mini connected to my 42" TV and if I browse MacRumors when f.lux is active, it becomes difficult to read. However, it's fine when I am on my Dell monitor connected to a MacBook Pro. This is where a dark mode theme for MacRumors would be great.

I found f.lux from another MacRumors user here recently and have been using it for a couple of months now and like it. I tend to be up very early in the morning and so when I get to the Mac, f.lux is working and makes it easier on my eyes as I am still waking up - meaning I don't get blasted with bright light when I get started. As the daylight breaks and gets brighter in my home office, f.lux fades away gradually to end up being off and the display at its normal brightness and color.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

Renzatic

Suspended
I wouldn't mind having this, either. Totally subjective, I know, but I find white text on a black background not only nicer from an aesthetics standpoint (provided it's done well, of course), but also so, so much easier on the eyes.

Having an option to flip between the current standard and a darker theme would be great.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

triptolemus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
You can enable keyboard shortcuts for inverting colors and changing the contrast in the Accessibility section of the Shortcuts pane of Keyboard preferences. To open the pane, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Keyboard, then click Shortcuts, then click Accessibility, tick "Invert Colors".

Press the Control-Option-Command-8 key combination.

Obviously not a theme, per se, but a suitable workaround nonetheless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.