Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
OK, after a recommendation of Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition I went and bought a copy and installed it under Windows 7 in Bootcamp.

I killed the Asylum Demon and got picked up by the giant bird and dropped at the Firelink Shrine and this is where the problems begin.

The playing area where your character runs around is totaly out of focus but the life meter top right and 4 boxes that show your equipped items items etc are all OK.

If I open up any of the menus that overlay the playing area they are all OK also and when any of these are pulled up I can see that the screen behind has pulled back into focus, close menu back to totaly unplayable playing screen.

Tried just re booting to no avail, anybody had this happen or know what could be the cause ?

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
Normally, the first thing I'd recommend would be a driver update. It sounds like some weird depth of field rendering issue that'll probably be fixed by grabbing the latest and greatest.

But...

Have you tried DSFix yet? It could very possibly fix your problems, and do so much easier than having to install GPU drivers.

edit: though if you're using the default GPU drivers that come with Windows 7, I'd recommend updating them anyway.

Last edited:

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Normally, the first thing I'd recommend would be a driver update. It sounds like some weird depth of field rendering issue that'll probably be fixed by grabbing the latest and greatest.

But...

Have you tried DSFix yet? It could very possibly fix your problems, and do so much easier than having to install GPU drivers.

edit: though if you're using the default GPU drivers that come with Windows 7, I'd recommend updating them anyway.

Had not heard of and knew nothing about the DSFIX, downloaded it, did what it said and it has fixed the problem.

Thank you very much for that pointer and information :) :) :)

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
This is a great game, I've logged more than 200 hours to it. Unfortunately the developers don't seem very good with making PC games, so the community has had to basically fix it. Though, didn't the same happen with Bethesda's games ^^

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Just before I go off and play some dark souls what is the process to make sure that I have the latest and maybe the best GPU drivers in my Bootcamp area.

I am not a Windows person when it comes to updating things like that, I use it to play games and move the odd file around but when it comes to the mechanics I get a bit lost at sometimes.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Just before I go off and play some dark souls what is the process to make sure that I have the latest and maybe the best GPU drivers in my Bootcamp area.

I am not a Windows person when it comes to updating things like that, I use it to play games and move the odd file around but when it comes to the mechanics I get a bit lost at sometimes.

What graphics card do you have?

Renzatic

Suspended

There's a number of ways, but really, the simplest thing to do is just go to either the Nvidia or ATI website, and grab the appropriate drivers. If you've already got the latest installed (and I'm thinking you probably don't, considering...), it'll tell you as much. If you don't, it'll roll on as usual.

It's a fairly straightforward affair. Just run the .exe file, click next a couple of times, wait, reboot, and you're done.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
There's a number of ways, but really, the simplest thing to do is just go to either the Nvidia or ATI website, and grab the appropriate drivers. If you've already got the latest installed (and I'm thinking you probably don't, considering...), it'll tell you as much. If you don't, it'll roll on as usual.

It's a fairly straightforward affair. Just run the .exe file, click next a couple of times, wait, reboot, and you're done.

Again thanks, all done :)

----------

What graphics card do you have?

XFX Radeon HD 6870, HD-687A-ZDFC

I am all sorted now :)

----------

Hey, no problem. :)

Now that you're able to play it, keep us updated. I'm kinda interested to see what you think of it.

OK, I have gotten as far as the Firelink Shrine and now trying to get up the mountain path, I went the wrong way to start with but becuase I did I got the spiked mace. Only this far in and this game sure knows how to kick your backside unlike most games of today, but is it the wrong way in an open explore game ?

Renzatic

Suspended
OK, I have gotten as far as the Firelink Shrine and now trying to get up the mountain path, I went the wrong way to start with but becuase I did I got the spiked mace. Only this far in and this game sure knows how to kick your backside unlike most games of today, but is it the wrong way in an open explore game ?

Ha! I was young and naive like you once. Those were the days. So carefree. So innocent.

...things are different now. You'll be like me one day. Jaded. Shell shocked. Bitter. I know what's waiting for you, you see...

Yeah, it is pretty open ended. In fact, there are whole sections of the game you can miss entirely if you don't happen across a secret door or two, or have the right item at the right place and time. But towards the beginning, you're a little more guided. When you first start out at the Firelink Shrine, there's only one real way you can go; up the mountain. There's nothing stopping you from hitting up the graveyard (and the terrible horrible awful things that await beyond), or running down the steps towards the Ruins of New Londo, but...

...I wouldn't recommend it. Not until you have a little more literal and numerical experience, and a better set of weapons and armor to help you along. It might seem a little straightforward for the first 5 hours or so, but it becomes absolutely labyrinthine later on.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Ha! I was young and naive like you once. Those were the days. So carefree. So innocent.

...things are different now. You'll be like me one day. Jaded. Shell shocked. Bitter. I know what's waiting for you, you see...

Yeah, it is pretty open ended. In fact, there are whole sections of the game you can miss entirely if you don't happen across a secret door or two, or have the right item at the right place and time. But towards the beginning, you're a little more guided. When you first start out at the Firelink Shrine, there's only one real way you can go; up the mountain. There's nothing stopping you from hitting up the graveyard (and the terrible horrible awful things that await beyond), or running down the steps towards the Ruins of New Londo, but...

...I wouldn't recommend it. Not until you have a little more literal and numerical experience, and a better set of weapons and armor to help you along. It might seem a little straightforward for the first 5 hours or so, but it becomes absolutely labyrinthine later on.

LOL, I was there in the first days of the Spectrum then moved on through all the Amiga models and landed on the Mac, so I am jaded very jaded shell shocked and bitter in the way games have gone.

Renzatic

Suspended
LOL, I was there in the first days of the Spectrum then moved on through all the Amiga models and landed on the Mac, so I am jaded very jaded shell shocked and bitter in the way games have gone.

Hey, I grew up on Nintendo, which sported a library of games designed from the top down to kick your ass for months on end, and keep you coming back for more.

...mostly because they cost $50 a pop, and you were really lucky if you were able to bug your mom and dad for more than one game a month. They kinda had to last.

Yeah, I miss those days too. Though it's not like difficult, unforgiving games just don't come out anymore. They're a little more rare, but considering I don't have as much time to play them anymore, it ends up working out for me. Though I'd like to see more, I usually have enough to keep me entertained throughout the year.

To me, the worst thing are these wimpy games that have produced an entire generation of wimpy kids. They're all designed to be beaten these days, not to beat you. I doubt anyone below the age of 15 has ever been truly frustrated to the point of pure rage like we were. Nope, little weiners mostly play games that go out of their way to show them the solutions to puzzles or when to press what button to win the game. What's the point of playing a game that doesn't offer up any kind of challenge whatsoever?

On the plus side, they'll probably live longer than we will. I'm sure all those screaming fits and thrown controllers have taken at least 5 years off my life. On the down side, little bastards ain't got no character.

...why, back in my day... :shakes curmudgeon stick: :mad:

edit: yeah, I'm now old enough to say stuff like this. And you know what? It's fun. :p

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Hey, I grew up on Nintendo, which sported a library of games designed from the top down to kick your ass for months on end, and keep you coming back for more.

...mostly because they cost $50 a pop, and you were really lucky if you were able to bug your mom and dad for more than one game a month. They kinda had to last.

Yeah, I miss those days too. Though it's not like difficult, unforgiving games just don't come out anymore. They're a little more rare, but considering I don't have as much time to play them anymore, it ends up working out for me. Though I'd like to see more, I usually have enough to keep me entertained throughout the year.

To me, the worst thing are these wimpy games that have produced an entire generation of wimpy kids. They're all designed to be beaten these days, not to beat you. I doubt anyone below the age of 15 has ever been truly frustrated to the point of pure rage like we were. Nope, little weiners mostly play games that go out of their way to show them the solutions to puzzles or when to press what button to win the game. What's the point of playing a game that doesn't offer up any kind of challenge whatsoever?

On the plus side, they'll probably live longer than we will. I'm sure all those screaming fits and thrown controllers have taken at least 5 years off my life. On the down side, little bastards ain't got no character.

...why, back in my day... :shakes curmudgeon stick: :mad:

edit: yeah, I'm now old enough to say stuff like this. And you know what? It's fun. :p

This post gets my vote :)

Renzatic

Suspended
Speaking of the NES days, I'm at the last boss of the game, and I did something I haven't done for years and years and years now.

You know. Start speaking in rage induced tongues while you try to snap the controller in half then scream profanities at the screen? Yup! Haven't done that since I was 12!

That guy. Seriously. It's not a fun fight. At all. You have literally zero margin for error. If your timing is off for even a 10th of a second, give him even the smallest opening, and you are dead.

Corpsed up. Plain and simple. Straight up. Dead.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've gotta go bash my head against the wall. :D

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Speaking of the NES days, I'm at the last boss of the game, and I did something I haven't done for years and years and years now.

You know. Start speaking in rage induced tongues while you try to snap the controller in half then scream profanities at the screen? Yup! Haven't done that since I was 12!

That guy. Seriously. It's not a fun fight. At all. You have literally zero margin for error. If your timing is off for even a 10th of a second, give him even the smallest opening, and you are dead.

Corpsed up. Plain and simple. Straight up. Dead.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've gotta go bash my head against the wall. :D

Last boss of Dark Souls I assume you mean.

I'm getting my backside kicked all over the place by the Skeletons going up through the castle at the Firelink Shrine, path to the right around the tree, steps up, that place.

Renzatic

Suspended
Last boss of Dark Souls I assume you mean.

Ereggegegehrh. Oh man. Just thought about it.

Yeah, end boss of Dark Souls. He's a bastard. :p

I'm getting my backside kicked all over the place by the Skeletons going up through the castle at the Firelink Shrine, path to the right around the tree, steps up, that place.

Are you talking about where you drop down into that little shaft that takes you to the three chests up on the ledge? You're taking the long way to get to the graveyard.

Though I don't recommend you hit up that area until you've at least gearing up to ring the first bell. You can try sticking around the graveyard itself once you can take on two skeletons at once skeletons fairly easily, because there's a few decent items in there. But like I said, there's nothing waiting for you beyond that except terrible horrible awful things. It's easily one of the most evil parts of the game. You don't want to go there until you can kill a skeleton in one or two hits, or have a very specific type of weapon (trying to be as vague as possible here).

...if my advice doesn't put the fright in you, this not quite spoilery but still very scary screenshot should do the job.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Ereggegegehrh. Oh man. Just thought about it.

Yeah, end boss of Dark Souls. He's a bastard. :p

Are you talking about where you drop down into that little shaft that takes you to the three chests up on the ledge? You're taking the long way to get to the graveyard.

Though I don't recommend you hit up that area until you've at least gearing up to ring the first bell. You can try sticking around the graveyard itself once you can take on two skeletons at once skeletons fairly easily, because there's a few decent items in there. But like I said, there's nothing waiting for you beyond that except terrible horrible awful things. It's easily one of the most evil parts of the game. You don't want to go there until you can kill a skeleton in one or two hits, or have a very specific type of weapon (trying to be as vague as possible here).

...if my advice doesn't put the fright in you, this not quite spoilery but still very scary screenshot should do the job.

No, I have been to the drop down area to that graveyard, then found it was not the way to go, from the Firelink Shrine I take the path to the right by the tree and follow the steps up the mountain to the castle. I can reach the castle and that's where I come unstuck. Think I will move forward from the shrine a bit, kill a couple runback to bonefore, then repeat, a bit of grinding to gain some level up before venturing deeper.I have Ultima 7 to have a go at to relax in between sessions of Dark Souls :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.