Darwin/BSD error on iBook

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Ninja_Turtle, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2004
    Fullerton, California
    hey, yesterday night i was on my iBook, listening to some tunes and chatting on AIM and safari was open also, when all of a sudden the screen from top to bottom goes into "shade" and it tells me YOUR COMPUTER MUST BE RESTARTED, PRESS AND HOLD THE POWER BUTTON TO RESTART, and it says it in numerous languages, so i restart, but then some Darwin/BSD thing comes up, it shows the computer all black screen with white letters and it says on the top line DARWIN/BSD (MARTINLAPTOP.LOCAL) (CONSOLE) and then on a second line it says LOGIN: and when i try to type in my name, it accepts, but then it tells me PASSWORD and i put my normal everyday password and it says LOGIN INCORRECT, it takes me to a blue screen and then the same black screen comes up, but this time instead of saying "(MartinLaptop.Local)" it says **this is someties** (localhost) (console)
    ...anyone got any ideas of what this might be?
  2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    When the grey box came up saying you need to restart is called a kernel panick, it happens when the OS has a conflict with the hardware (mouse, keyboard, cd-rom, ram, ect.) and shuts it self down to prevent harming itself.

Try unplugging any usb or firewire devices and removing any 3rd party ram to get rid of kernel panicks.

And if you can't login because the computer says its incorrect, boot from the install OS X cd-rom and there should be something some where as to how to reset your password.