Das Keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ribbonthecat, May 28, 2006.

1. ribbonthecat macrumors regular

I just recieved a Das Keyboard (www.daskeyboard.com) as a gift. Is there any way that I can use the function keys on the Das Keyboard in the same way that the function keys on my PB keyboard work (for examle, setting F3 as mute, F4 as volume down, etc)?

2. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

3. Nate4747 macrumors regular

You can go to the keyboard preference pane and in the 'Keyboard Shortcuts' tab you can set the F buttons to do various things. I don't know if you can get as specific as you can with a PB keyboard, but you can try. Volume and screen brightness would be the two I would want most.

Nice keyboard by the way.

4. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Wow, I've never seen a keyboard with nothing printed on it. Is it specifically designed to encourage touch typing?

5. Nate4747 macrumors regular

The site says that's what it's for. They claim up to 100% speed increase. It's also like the old school IBM keyboards that click whenever you press a key, not this membrane soft key crap we have now. I might get one, I'm glad I saw this post.

6. ribbonthecat thread starter macrumors regular

I actually got one of the original membrane ones. It's a bit quieter than the new mechanical ones, and $20 cheaper, and it's built with the same idea. I can attest that I can really type quite faster when I type on it, and it makes a very satisfying pounding noise.

No software came bundled with it, and I haven't had any luck with double command or adjusting keyboard shortcuts.

Brightness and volume are the two things that I would want too. Fortunately, one can control by default the brightness with the scroll-lock and pause keys, but I still haven't gotten volume.

7. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

when i took keyboarding back in junior high, none of the keyboards had writting printed on it.