Dashboard and Widgets

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacSA, Mar 25, 2005.

1. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

There's one aspect of the dashboard that confuses me....

When you use dashboard.......the destop fades and the widget dock comes up with which of the widgets you want to use. If you select one and go back to you regular desktop...what happens to the widget - does it dissapear too or move to the desktop?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You only use the widgets on the dashboard. When you are done, you can select another widget to use or you can go back to the desktop. At no point does the widget leave dashboard.

Edit:
    And its not really a widget dock. That is only to add or remove widgets from dashboard. When you hit F12, the widgets come up like expose.

3. MacSA thread starter macrumors 68000

MacSA

Hmmmmm that doesn't sound very useful afterall........I thought the widgets selected would stay on the screen when you went back to your desktop.

What would be the use of the iTunes controller widget then?

4. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

Well you do realize that after you've dragged the widget off of the Widget Dock, it will be right where you left it whenever you press F12? You don't have to drag it off every time.
    As for the iTunes widget - if you've got your desktop crowded with windows, especially Photoshop or Final Cut windows that don't leave a lot of room for other windows like the tiny iTunes controller, and you also don't want to screw up your current window arrangement, you can just hit F12 and access iTunes from there. Sure you could just use the iTunes dock shortcuts as well, but this looks so much cooler, lol.

5. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Can you access the widgets using a hot corner like Exposé?

For Powerbook folks, hitting F12 is too hard. Can't find the key by touch.

Fingers crossed that Apple figured this out...

6. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

you won't be disappointed. :)

7. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Yes. Dashboard is very much an extension of Exposé, and can be triggered by the same methods.

8. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

AWESOME.

I really can't for Tiger.

(Although I am sure I will bitch about iCal for weeks after the initial Tiger bliss wears off. But I am just too sad about iCal...)

9. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Dashboard is very very cool guys... When you first use it, you'll really like it. I think it's my favorite new feature in Tiger after using developer builds for a while now.