Dashboard Exchange is dedicated to creating and sharing widg...

Discussion in 'Mac Scene' started by MacBytes, Jan 26, 2005.

1. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

this seems like a good thing for those who love to program. Just imagine how many people are going to be developing these widgets. Personally, I would just make some widgets for my personal use. thats just me.

2. maya macrumors 68040

maya

You are selfish indeed. ;) :p :)

I am looking forward to all of the developers tools that Tiger has to offer.

It would seems Apple is making the Mac community into software/coders. What will OS 11 look like the Terminal Screen? :p :)

It is rather ironic though, Apple first gives us the GUI to replace the Terminal Shell, then we have OS X that introduces *nix, then Dev Tools for Classic, Carbon and Cocoa and now Widgets.

Gotta love the easing in of the learning curve. ;) :)

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I, for one, am very much looking forward to getting the chance to learn how to write Dashboard widgets. I have a few ideas already in mind, including a stock ticker that pulls real-time quotes from my brokerage firm (no more 20 minute delays).

4. maya macrumors 68040

maya

You can do this with the default Stock Ticker that is included with Tiger, all you have to do is change the link for the source and the stock you want to track. :)

You can also change the color, text, etc... its basically like programming a website.

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Will it scroll too?

6. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Are you referring to having multiple trackers on one widget, or having multiple stock widgets. :confused: :)

7. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

pfft! I aint selfish ... of course i will share some of em... when i make em. i would probably make like a little search thing for macrumors ... like i did for firefox.

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I'm referring to having the display of the quotes constanting scrolling right to left, just like you see at the stock exchanges, cable news programs, etc.

9. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Ah that style ticker, that is not yet a default though when Tiger is released who knows if that style will be included.

The one that is currently in Tiger looks like the Yahoo one.

If you want the Ticker that is on the Stock Exchange floor, there are already applications that can do that, however you will have to created it. Though I would not worry someone will already have written and released it when Tiger is released (or you can hope). :)

As far as real-time changes go, it will not happen since its obtaining the data from a site/server such as Yahoo. A 1-5 minute delay at best. :)

10. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Looks a bit prettier but the community at the dashboarder is by far greater. We'll see how this turns out. Just wondering why they are hyped to be the premier source now, when the dashboarder has been around for quite a while.... :confused:

11. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I think it's because they THEMSELVES intend to be the premier site. Good luck to them--nothing wrong with more widgets!

Meanwhile, thanks for the link to TheDashboader--lots of widgets there, and most actually look very well done:

http://www.thedashboarder.com/archive/

I'm SO glad they've got a better looking calculator widget than Tiger's own orange monstrosity.

[​IMG]

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

13. maya macrumors 68040

maya

ROTF, run for the hills the aliens are coming. ;) :)

14. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Mac OS Retro Calculator. I love it. :)

15. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I laughed at that one too. I'm not sure if it's meant as a joke, or is taken seriously by someone who thinks the war is "cool."

It's funny, I don't know anyone personally who takes that Alert Status game as anything but a convenient distraction, when the Bush administration wants to crank up the fear that makes people fall into line. There MUST be people actually falling for it though: even if the election was stolen (it probably wasn't), there was still plenty of support for the guy :)

Now how about a companion widget that commemorates the US's growing number of dead? Something tasteful that displays the latest names and a total. Their sacrifice, whether for oil or politics or freedom, deserves to be remembered and respected more than color-coded alerts!

But I have less heavy ideas for widgets too... F@H monitors, John Conway's Life, game-server admin panels, and the classic (and frightening) gizmo that measures how many miles your mouse has gone!

16. simX macrumors 6502a

simX

Okay, all I have to say is: those widgets at The Dashboarder: *DAMN* are most of them beautiful.

You gotta love how Mac OS X has a beautiful interface and inspires Mac programmers to (usually) create a beautiful interface to their own programs, even though they could easily mess it up.

I mean, look even at that homeland security one. It's totally aqualicious! I would be tempted to put that on my dashboard just because of beauty alone (but obviously my thoughts on the war might temper that ;) ).

Sheesh. Mac OS X's potential as a platform never ceases to amaze me.

17. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

But I don't wanna hope, maya. I want to experience the highs and lows of learning to write my own widgets. :)

Hey, I just thought of another Dashboard widget to write: a current Mac mini BTO pricing alert, since that data seems to be changing quite frequently. If I can hook in the UK pricing, that would be extra special and could annoy the Brits when they see their prices increasing instead of decreasing. :eek:

18. macreator macrumors regular

macreator

Thanks for the compliments. Obviously we have a longway to go in terms of getting our site design smoothed out. I enjoy the Dashboarder, it's a great site and I hope us saying premier isn't arrogant but we really hope to become one of the leading sites for the Dashboard genre which will emerge in the web as Tiger goes Public.

19. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

At first I thought it was a colossal mistake that all the Apple widgets looked so different--a different color for everyone one! What strange inconsistency!

I appreciate now that the difference is functional. One act brings ALL your widgets into view--that's the simplicty and value of Dashboard--and strong visual cues make it easy to find the ONE you want at the moment. You're not meant to take widgets in and out of the widget bar all the time--that's just for customizing Dashboard. In regular use, your most-used widgets are supposed to "be there"... and then be gone just as fast.

So in a way, each widget is like an icon--visually distinct from others so that you can get to what you want with less thought and time.

PS, I wonder if Apple provides Photoshop templates or PNGs with the aqua look? Those home-made widgets DO (mostly) have a great aqua look--and several of them are similar in shape.

20. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Nah, don't worry. You aim high that's not bad. I just meant the press covering your site as something new. There's always space for more sites, choice is good. I hope everything goes well with your site it definitely looks great.

21. balconycollapse macrumors regular

I am very excited about dashboard, and Tiger in general. Now if someone would just pump out a TI 89 emulator widget...

I think it's great that sites like dbex and dbdr are coming up with the Share the welath mindset. I've seen a widget site that plans to extract a dollar from your wallet for every widget you download, lame!

22. macreator macrumors regular

macreator

I also saw that site. I guess they must be making their own widgets if they're going to charge.

23. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

What is this classing gizmo what measures how far my mouse has traveled? Mouseodometer?

And please... leave the politics for the political forum...

I can't wait to show off those widgets. To windows users, I mean. Oh, and does anyone know if iTunes will be able to be played in a "closed" state because of that new controller widget? Window closed but then have the widget be in charge of iTunes?

24. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme