Dashboard Gadget Games

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thePurpleGiant, Aug 11, 2004.

1. thePurpleGiant macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Just posting to let you know there are quite a few 'game' gadgets being released for Dashboard of late, including Solitaire, Minesweeper, Tetris, Connect 4 and more. A few pictures:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

To download any of the above, just visit The Dashboarder. Enjoy!

2. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Thanks!

I'll give them a try... Looking forward to "Connect 4" and the translator gadget ... I'll give my review soon ;)

Review: Connect 4 is cool, just hate that "I'm going to win" thing :) but Nice! The translator is pretty funny, I didn't read well and thought it was a real one... "how are yoos?" :confused: :D ... Solitaire is ok, pretty small but handy, I had before the Hirakata gadget and it rules...

/me waiting for Tiger... Grrrrrr! :p

3. ibook_g4_user macrumors newbie

4. thePurpleGiant thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I find that a little annoying too!

For anyone interested, here are some screenshots of the new look minesweeper and O and X game which I will be very much looking forward to:

[​IMG]

(screenshots taken from this thread on The Dashboarder)

5. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

he he. :D the perfect way to hide your gaming addiction from the boss. :D i just kew games like this were going to get made into Gadgets...

on the subject of Dashboard... seems like Apple has big plans for 'Dashboard', especially after reading reviews of Motion... ;)

6. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

Exactly what does it take...

to be able to write Dashbooard apps? I am trying to increase my competency with some mild code study, mostly web stuff, CSS, HTML, but I am also beginning PHP and some have said that it might be useful in combination with something else to make mini-programs for Dashboard. Cocoa? I can't think of what was said before. Anybody know for sure?

7. thePurpleGiant thread starter macrumors newbie

It really depends on what type of gadgets you want to make. The vast majority of gadgets appearing at the moment simply use HTML + CSS + Javascript to accomplish their tasks.

Essentially, HTML + CSS are doing all the work to make the gadget look good, then the 'coding' is done in Javascript. Alternatively, you could embed a java applet into a gadget, or even a flash movie. The next step up from that would be to learn cocoa, which can also be used in gadgets.

So many possibilities! If you have any trouble, the guys over here are pretty good at answering a lot of gadget development questions.

8. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i think to do the really cool system integration stuff with Gadgets you need to learn some Cocoa stuff. is that right?

but you can sitll do some pretty good stuff with Java and other 'web' type things, CSS, etc.

9. thePurpleGiant thread starter macrumors newbie

Pretty much. You need cocoa to do things like the Address Book gadget - where it is grabbing data from your system. However for all the gadgets that grab info from the net, or simply work within themself, learning HTML, CSS and Javascript will get you a long way.

10. thePurpleGiant thread starter macrumors newbie

11. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

12. *Y* macrumors regular

These gadgets look awsome. I can't wait until Tiger is released. :)